Thursday, June 28, 2012

Timeline on Philippians

Paul was imprisoned and nearing the end of his life. He would soon be martyred for his faith. What final message would he leave with the believers who would mourn for him?



Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
(3:1)

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
(4:4)



I'm not sure it gets much plainer than that.



As for the timeline? There are two theories concerning Paul's prison letters in general and this prison epistle to the believers at Philippi in particular.

The first theory places Philippians earlier in the time line. Those who read along with me last year might have noticed that I had this little book placed early in the schedule then.

The second theory states that Paul was imprisoned twice. In that case, the events of Acts 27 and 28 tell about the first imprisonment. That might explain why Luke doesn't finish his narrative with the details of Paul's death. It is believed by those that hold this theory that Paul left Rome after 2 years of house arrest and made the rounds through Asia Minor once more.

Why would Paul be released? Either because his accusers didn't bother to show up in court or the charges against Jewish law were inconsequential to Caesar.

So why would Paul be imprisoned a second time and ultimately beheaded? Because Nero later outlawed Christianity. That would automatically make Paul one of the worst offenders, his own words condemning him.

Following the timeline of the second theory (which I did for this reading schedule) would place the time of writing at approximately A.D. 67.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)