Monday, June 4, 2012

Memorization Monday: An Online Tool To Help Memorize

(**Edited because parts of words and sentences were somehow deleted!)

I must thank the individual who left a comment several weeks ago telling me about a website designed to aid in scripture memorization. I took his advice and gave it a try. Besides wanting to find something affordable I wanted to know if it worked and was therefore something that I could recommend to my readers.

It is!

As for affordable, how does "free" sound? Yeah, my frugal genes reacted the same way.

As for something that works, well, it is working for me. I have tested the system for a few weeks now and I like it.  Guess that means I recommend it. :)

The Memverse system is an online program that provides practice based upon an algorithm designed to review a verse at an optimal time. It doesn't matter what your age, as long as you can type and spell (which could be a problem for some, I suppose) you can use the system.




One of the things that I like is that the user has control over what verses s/he wants to memorize. No one tells you which verses to memorize.

Another thing that I like is that the user chooses the Bible version. This is important! You should probably memorize verses in the version you read each day. You are reading your Bible each day, aren't you?!

Let me warn you, though, not to add too many verses to your list at one time. When I first picked from a database of familiar verses I overestimated my ability and began with fifteen. Therefore the 2 or 3 that I did not know, and really were the verses I was memorizing, did not repeat often enough to help me achieve mastery. Once I deleted several and got my list down to the recommended 5-10 this complication was resolved. I know, I know! Follow the directions! That's why they're there.

I encourage you to give it a try. Those of you, who along with myself, bridge a time between old-fashioned index cards and advanced technology might be surprised at how efficient mental exercise becomes when the tools and techniques are varied.


* * *

After you sign up for at the Memverse website you might want to include some of these in your list of verses to memorize:
  • Colossians 1:16
  • Colossians 1:17
  • Colossians 2:8
  • Colossians 3:1
  • Colossians 3:16
  • Colossians 3:17
  • I Timothy 1:15
  • I Timothy 2:5

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)