Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Distant Valentine



Eighteen years ago our country was at war with Iraq. It was a time of uncertainty not unlike today, actually. Before that war people could walk back to the gates and waiting areas in an airport as their loved ones either departed or arrived. That all changed about the time Pastor Dad and I were making arrangements to leave the country.

It was Valentine's Day 2001 when we flew to Belize to spend almost two weeks with missionary friends. Immediately after some people hear that we traveled to Belize they say things like, "Oh! I've been there!" I seriously doubt it. I'm not disputing that they landed at the Belize Airport but most of the time when someone says they've "been to Belize" they mean that they waited at the airport until they could board their charter flight to the Cayes where they vacationed at the resorts. We, on the other hand, experienced the non-touristy parts of the country.

When we left Nashville early that morning the city was experiencing a nasty cold snap. When we flew into Belize the temperature was almost 80 degrees higher than it had been in Nashville earlier that day. The people there had sweaters and knit caps on all of the babies because they were also experiencing a cold snap. It was only 100 degrees. :D

Our church in TN sponsored a mission work in the interior that was ready to become independent to the point that our missionary could move elsewhere and start another preaching point. Pastor Dad and I went to help them celebrate the occasion.

Our youngest daughter, the Princess, was less than 3 years old at the time. All she understood was that there were policemen all over the airports all of a sudden. In typical childish fashion she heard what she heard and not what was really said. We found out after we returned that she had told anyone who asked that her parents had gone to the airport with the police. This was what the 32 month old girl understood from our explanation that we had to go to the airport to fly to Belize. Understandable misinterpretation. :)

I enjoyed the trip tremendously. I had an opportunity to teach the ladies of the church and to fellowship with our missionaries. They drove us around the country to see the beautiful scenery, meet their Mennonite friends in a nearby community, visit Mayan ruins, and to shop in a nearby Guatemalan village. We also drove up to Mexico for a few days of civilization. We had some scary moments in the no-man's-land between the Guatemalan and Belizian borders as the Belizian border patrol considered whether to let us back in. Guatemala didn't want us back either! That was not a nice feeling as our brains quickly started calculating what our options would be if we were stuck for long in that area between the two countries.

When we returned to the USA we landed first in New Orleans. We had been told all sorts of stories about how hard it could be to get through customs and I'm sure that this might be true for some. In my case the lady at the desk went calmly through the handmade basket I was carrying then looked at me and said warmly, "Welcome home." I wanted to hug her. Words had never sounded so wonderful. I was home! We exchanged smiles before I left to find the first aid station so that a real doctor could look at the grapefruit-sized mosquito bite on my leg. That was a little souvenir I picked up in Mexico.

10 comments :

  1. Mostly what I remember is staying at Mammaw's house just waiting for you to call. Fun Fun Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention the crippling dehydration or eating only Chinese food the whole time.

    Details, details...

    And I remember, among other things, staying with the Grandparents, watching the Princess have a few show-downs with Papaw, and the trip back home to TN. We had some good times too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the comments to your post, sounds like your trip to Belize has all kinds of memories for everyone in your family!!
    I love to travel and experience all the differences. Some differences I like more than others of course!!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that sounds like some trip...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank goodness God took care of you so that you could do His work. I have a fear of leaving the country, and I can imagine how wonderful it did feel to hear those words from the lady at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that sounds like an interesting trip. I love that your daughter told people you went to the airport with the police. hee hee...

    Sounds like a trip that you were able to bless and be blessed - those are the best kind, aren't they.

    Thanks for sharing today Karabeth. Very interesting post.
    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure! Welcome home...powereful words. In regards to your comment on my blog about the joy of raising a godly young man, I was touched to read about your son becoming protective of you. That's evidence that he is growing into that godly young man...and a welcomed blessing...though bittersweet. Thank you for sharing...

    Kelly Gerken
    Sufficient Grace Ministries

    ReplyDelete
  8. What memories you have!! :) I'm sure you didn't forget this trip for a very long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your memories of an interesting trip! Isn't it wonderful to hear those words, "Welcome home." Your words reminded of something! Remember this story? I've heard it lots and I just love it!

    A missionary who had served overseas for 40 years was forced to return home to the United States because his health was failing. He arrived in New York on the same ocean liner that was returning Teddy Roosevelt home from an African safari. There he saw a huge crowd at the doc waiting to give Roosevelt a grand reception. As the missionary watched the hubbub and commotion and heard the accolades and cheers of the crowd, he began to feel both envious and sorry for himself. He arrived alone. There was no one to greet him. In a fit of despair he prayed, "Lord, I've given my life to serve You as a missionary and now not a soul welcomes me home." Hearing the pain and sorrow of His servant, our gracious Father replied, "My dear child, you're not home yet!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a very interesting trip! That's so cool that you got to see Mayan ruins! I've always thought that'd be really cool.

    Thanks for sharing with us!
    In His arms,
    --Abigail

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)