Monday, February 9, 2009

A Feast Day

I woke up this morning about 6 a.m. No, I am not launching into that old stream of consciousness song by "Jewel" that tells about her whole day. I really did get up that early with something on my mind.

To wake up so early and to actually get out of bed is almost an unheard of thing for me, especially on a Monday morning. I don't know how other pastors' families cope on Monday but ours usually tries to get a bit of a later start since Sunday is anything but a day of rest for us. So it was quite unusual for me to be clothed and in my right mind (well, that's debatable) on any day at that hour but particularly so on a Monday morning. I even watched the moon set.

Soon after I got out of bed I began to feast and I wasn't eating breakfast. I actually forgot to eat today. I noticed my stomach growling in an ever rising crescendo around 11 a.m. By that time the Bear had been out of bed for a couple of hours and had eaten breakfast, a couple of mid morning snacks, and was loudly demanding, "What's for lunch?" That's when I realized I had not even eaten breakfast.

The Bear was incredulous! How is it possible to be out of bed for 5 hours and not eat?! For someone who consumes large quantities of cereal all day every day, broken intermittently by snacks of nuts, fruit, milk, juice, some junk food, and anything else that pops into sight the thought of going that long without nourishment being swallowed is inconceivable.

Now I know what Jesus meant when he said he had meat to eat that the disciples didn't know about. Remember how they all stood around asking each other who could possibly have brought him something to eat while they were in the village trying to buy bread?

Yes, my feast was very tasty. It filled me more than any bowl of oatmeal ever could. I hope I have opportunity to avail myself of this delightful smorgasbord again sometime soon. I might even share a bite or two with you in the future.

1 comment :

  1. I've done that - taken my morning pills - and then around 11:30 thought - wow, why is my stomach growling! Time just got away on me as I was reading, studying, thinking, writing..... God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)