Friday, February 3, 2012

It's Friday! Making Things for the Grandchildren

Okay, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Not that I'd really do that, you know. I actually love cats. Alive cats.

I just needed to keep trying because I felt so bad for wasting Liz's minute. Never mind the hours I've spent trying to get these silly pictures to upload. :)


Here's the complete set of items I've been making for my grandchildren.  We're expecting the 6th one in April so hers is the onesie that says "little sister."  Those are also her unfinished booties shown.

Her "Big brother" is Fen.  As you can see, his iron-on has not been transferred to a t-shirt yet.  That's because I'm having difficulty finding a colored plain t-shirt to fit the little stinker.  I bought the blue one yesterday because it is an XS, but their idea of XS and my idea are not the same thing.  I'll keep looking.


These are the transfers that I found for three of Karen's girls.  They are the oldest three of our grandchildren.  I think I mentioned once that Pastor Dad and The Bear quizzed me which transfer was for which girl and I told them, "Take a guess."  Both scored 100%, as I'm sure you would, too, if you know them or read Karen's blog.  (And that's all I'm going to say about that.  :)


These are the shirts for the younger set of three.  Little Lili-lady bug was obviously the "Huggable" of the transfers as Pastor Dad and The Bear also guessed.  Bonus points!


I'll be working on these booties for awhile.  I've almost completed the one on the left.  I just need to crochet the laces.  The one on the right has had very little done to it except the addition of lazy daisy stitches and french knots.  I've also cut the holes for the laces.  It still needs blanket stitching around the edges, the sole machine-sewn to the upper, and crocheted laces added.

I haven't been quite the frugal gal in recent weeks, but I've purchased everything on sale since Christmas.  The bootie pattern and felt were on sale at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago as were all the iron-on transfers.  I bought the onesie and purple shirt on sale at Walmart about a month ago.  And I bought the four t-shirts on sale yesterday at Target.  Granted, Fen won't be using this particular t-shirt this year but I expect he'll be in it before we know it so it isn't worth the bother of returning it. 

This is part of my "I want to be more creative" goal.  I'm obviously not doing everything from scratch but I don't think the kids or their mothers will mind the shortcuts taken.  Even the Diva will just be happy to have new clothes!

7 comments :

  1. Mem and Pop scored 100% also! The transfers seem to be custom made for the girls! We agreed "huggable" fits perfectly as she does snuggle into your arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mem and Pop, when I saw these transfers at Hobby Lobby I knew immediately that someone knows our mutual granddaughters very well indeed. They even got the right hair colors and styles to match the character traits!

      Delete
  2. Love all the outfits. I'm sure they'll be a hit

    ReplyDelete
  3. So So cute!!!!! Now we just want pics when they are all wearing their new shirts!! ;)

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! I'll see what I can do to make that happen soon. :)

      Delete
  4. I have to say that I may have gained my minute back by reading this post! :) I love shirts like the ones you are making. There is just something special about a shirt made just for you. Our Walmart had all their plain boy shirts on sale for $2.50 the other day and a ton of other clothes f or $1! I bought packs of 2 girls and boys uniform shirts for $1 each!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)