Friday, February 17, 2012

Free For All Friday: Rose Woes

For those of you who might be here on my hill for the first time, let me first say, "Welcome!" and second say, "Fridays are sort of a potpourri of  just about anything." I consider it my blogging day of randomness because after a busy week by Friday my brain has turned to mush.

Mush would be a good way to describe what is to follow.

Add roses to Valentine's Day and things get a little mushy.  :)


Pastor Dad gave me a dozen red roses this week.  I'm not sure why he does this.  I think he's keeping a chart somewhere that tracks how long it takes me to kill them.  Let's just say that when roses find out they're coming to me as a gift they try to find ways to escape their fate, ala "Finding Nemo."

Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but almost. 

So far only 1 rose has showed definite signs of distress.  It looked as though someone had almost snapped it in half!  I'd blame Pepper (that's our hyperactive chocolate lab) but these roses were on the dining room table and if Pepper had been on top of the table there would be more destruction than 1 little rose!

Since the rose was otherwise healthy I decided to give it a home of it's own.  This would require a proper bud vase.  Um, I have none.  All that decluttering I did last fall rid me of anything suitable. 

Okay, plan B.  We have several of these little medicine tubes for dispensing liquids to little ones.  I was aware that I still had these - even though my youngest child is now 16 years old and stopped requiring them last year (I'm kidding!) - because my 2-year-old grandson, Fen, arrived at the house earlier this week equipped with liquid cold medicine.


If you're a homeschooler you might have a few test tubes lying around.  Those work just as well.  We have a few that we use regularly but I opted for the medicine tube.

Or if you're a florist or a hoarder you might actually have a floral tube hanging around somewhere.  And might I say, I would understand your interest in this post if you're a hoarder, but a florist?! Why would you be reading this unless it's to laugh at me or to grieve over the roses you sold to my husband to place into my brutal care?

Anyway, the results are below.  We have a glass from a previous Valentine event with the word "Love" painted all over it.  We have red glass marbles from a previous desk-sized fish vase (again, shades of Nemo), and Pepper received Valentine treats from the pet store when we bought her food this week which are the heart-shaped accoutrements nearby.  (Even our dog gets Valentines!)



I nestled the plastic tube in the marbles, filled the whole shebang with water, and added a bit of spanish moss to cover the plastic tube.  (I also put the doggy treats away pronto! because Pepper really was threatening to get on the table at this point!)

I then set it in the window for one last picture before moving it to a shaded location on my desk where I can enjoy it while I type.    :)

1 comment :

  1. What beautiful flowers! I love arrangement you made with the single rose

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)