Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursday's Tune-Up: How Many Times Must I Teach You This?

There are some things that strike fear into our hearts: the lack of money, groceries, or health, and concern over the future, aging, or death. All of these things can cause us to wonder if what we're doing to prepare is going to be enough. Would it help you to know that the people who ministered alongside Jesus experienced these same fears?

For example scan the following verses in Matthew to read about their grocery concerns.
  • Matthew 6:31-34 "Therefore take no thought . . . What shall we eat? . . ."
  • Matthew 14:13-21 The feeding of the 5,000
  • Matthew 15:32-39 The feeding of the 4,000
  • Matthew 16:5-12 Jesus warns His disciples about the leaven of the Pharisees but they think He is talking about literal bread
Jesus taught His followers that if they would make working to advance the Kingdom of God their top priority they wouldn't need to worry about essentials like food or clothing. It wasn't long before He tested them to see if they were listening. They failed.

I don't know what kind of natural laws Jesus had to bend or rescind to turn a few small loaves and fish into meals to feed multitudes but because He is God He can do it and proved His ability on two separate occasions. Incredibly He had to rebuke his disciples a few days after the second miraculous dinner because they were worried about leaving home without their lunch box.

As I thought back over my years as a follower of Christ I realized that some petitions have appeared and disappeared on my personal prayer list several times. They joyfully disappeared when God answered specifically and completely according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19) but fearfully reappeared the next time the same situation occurred. I was reminded of this when I read, "O ye of little faith, why reason ye . . .?" Obviously, there is something wrong with my reasoning abilities and faith.  I failed, too!

Is it wrong to add repeat requests to a prayer list? No, it is not. Jesus taught these same disciples in the Model Prayer to request their daily bread from their Father. But it is wrong to worry about things He already promised to give. That shows a lack of thankfulness for prior answers received and lack of worship for the Provider.

Will God supply all my need? Absolutely! Just like He made sure those forgetful disciples would receive their daily bread He'll make sure this disciple is not lacking the essentials either.

I trust you are also faithfully reading your Bible so that God may reprove, correct, and instruct while teaching you just like He did for me this week. (II Timothy 3:16). That's the best kind of tune-up there is!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)