Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wednesday's Wisdom: Who's the Villain?

A good story needs a good villain. Or should that be a bad villain? Whatever you want to call the antagonist, a story needs one.

Reading the account of Exodus always interests me because it has great plot twists (especially the plagues) and a notorious villain (that would be Pharoah). Add Moses playing the sidekick to the Superhero (that would be God, and I mean no irreverence or disrespect) and you have an action-packed saga far more exciting than anything mere mortals would write.

Somewhere around the time of the third or fourth plague I begin to wonder about Pharoah. Why did this man keep fighting when it is obvious that he and his army were severely outnumbered? And I don't mean by the Children of Israel. The Egyptians were outnumbered by One. The One!

The reason Pharoah kept up his rebellion is because he hardened his heart. He refused to look at the evidence and accept it for what it was! He was stubborn.

After reading my assigned passage in Exodus I turned over to the assignment in Mark to read the parallel passage that I highlighted from Matthew a couple of weeks ago. (Read that here.) Mark's account does more than make the disciples appear to be forgetful individuals. It says that their heart was hardened (Mark 6:52).

Wait a minute! Isn't that the same phrase the Bible uses to describe Pharoah? That would make the disciples villains in the New Testament story. And that would mean that I am also a villain since I often fail to remember all of the wonderful works of Almighty God in my life, too. It's a humbling thought.

Thankfully, another thing that all good stories have is a protagonist. A hero! As the story unfolds in Exodus we read of the death of the firstborn and the required blood sacrifice. Keep reading in Mark and you'll find that an unblemished Lamb, the only begotten Son will be offered as a sacrifice there, too. This would be the Lamb of God! He worked mighty miracles to prove His power over everything; He gave Himself as a ransom for many; He makes it so that we need no longer be at emnity with God.

Another thing I notice from the Exodus and Mark accounts is  that He allowed Pharoah to witness 10 displays of His power. He allowed the disciples to witness many miracles of feeding and healing people. And He allows me to witness many answered prayers that confirm His care for me. How patient and longsuffering He is!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)