Friday, April 24, 2009

Two Morning Songbirds

There is a large oak tree outside of our bedroom window and I am often awakened by songbirds that are sitting in the branches awaiting their turn at the breakfast diner. Last week I became aware of a beautiful new song being sung. I am not an expert ornithologist but I do like good music!

A couple of days ago I was in the kitchen when I became aware of a bird that I didn't recognize perched on the suet feeder. He was very shy so he would not allow me to take his picture, but since I have a copy of Peterson's guide I was able to identify him as a Yellow-throated warbler. When he flew to a nearby tree I could hear him singing. He is the mysterious a.m. crooner.

The last four mornings I have been awakened by another little songbird singing in a nearby room. There aren't many words to the little songs (at least not many recognizable ones) but this little birdie also greets the morning by singing her little heart out at the top of her lungs:

I'm not much of a morning person, but how can I resist a day that begins with such beautiful music?!

2 comments :

  1. Awww, what a sweet little birdie she is! I love nothing better than being awakened by a morning songbird, but alas we live in a highrise now, on the 9th floor, and the songbirds are so far away! Miss that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are some lovely songs around here, too, in the morning, but I have not been able to catch the singer yet!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)