Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Pendulum of Life

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Romans 12:15

April 15, 2009 was a very eventful day for two friends of mine, specifically, two blog friends. These "events" marked both extremes of life.

My dear friend, Allyson, whom I've known literally since the day she was born, lost her grandmother. Allyson's granny was a wonderful lady whom I loved dearly. I was saddened to hear of the cancer that was controlling her body when it was diagnosed just a few short weeks ago. Allyson's blog is called So This Is Life...., and yes, unfortunately, as long as we are residents of this world we will witness death in this life. The good news is that Allyson's granny will never witness it again. This life is over for her and her eternal one has begun. I grieve with Allyson for her loss. If you get a chance to stop by her blog and leave a comment of condolence, I would much appreciate it.

Another blogging buddy welcomed her first grandchild into the world! New life began on earth for Donna's much-anticipated first grandchild! It hasn't been an easy week for Donna and family as they waited and prayed over what they knew would be the early arrival of this little one. I praise the Lord with Donna as she celebrates the birth of her little grandson. Stop over at Living on the Creek and leave Donna and her husband Tim a note of congratulations.

Although only virtually, yesterday we alternately grieved and celebrated with people who mean so much to us. Yesterday was a very graphic reminder to me of the type of emotional pendulum that a pastor can often experience.

There was a day several years ago when Pastor Dad and I left the funeral of a woman we had known to visit another woman who had just given birth. Within minutes we shed tears of sorrow with the grieving family and tears of happiness with the rejoicing family. I don't often make these kind of rounds with my husband but this extreme in emotions is nothing new to him or the other dedicated folks within his profession. So if you think your pastor exhibits signs of mood swings you are probably right. A good pastor will do just that.

Allyson, Donna, our prayers are with your families during these times. So this is life....

4 comments :

  1. Thank you Karabeth for the congratulations and for all the prayers of God's people. We have swung on a pedulum this week. Concern for the safe delivery of little Colton and for our daughter's safety as well. It's been about one of the hardest things I've experienced with her. The helplessness I felt at times to not be able to "fix" the boo- boo she was experiencing. I thought back to a box of hot pink band-aids I had purchased many years ago and how she did everyting possible to get hurt and use them. I wished so that a pink band-aid would fix the latest boo-boo but it wouldn't. God has been so good to us in the delivery and health of Colton and the recovery of Brittany. Praise his name!
    My pendulum continues to swing. In 2007, my father committed suicide one morning not wishing to live any longer. He was a lost man and that hurt beyond imagining. Then in October of 2008 my Grandaddy M. had a massive stroke and passed away. Colton is my new little guy now. The pendulum has swung in a whole new direction. God has been so good to me through all these events. Isn't He wonderful wonderful wondeful Isn't Jesus my Lord wonderful?!
    Thanks for the continued prayers!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely unrelated to this post (but related to one of mine):

    I was just being clear. I'm sure I won't be able to shut about the trip, once I'm home. So I'm giving advance warning. I think I'm sort of humming it under my breath these days: "London, London, London"

    You'll just have to imagine the sing-songy tune...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed that maternity to the mortuary walk is a staggering reversal of emotions

    Pastor Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect verse for a death to life scenario! Yes, sometimes the pastorate duty is tough! God is good to show us the blessings overshadow the tough times!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)