Thursday, April 2, 2009

Every Dog Has Its Day

The following story is true. I can't explain it, but it's true.

I am blessed(?) to have six granddogs. Yes, you read that right. Six.
  • Karen and Prince Charming have 0. They have actual human children, our granddaughters.
  • Lulu and Ssgt. Dan have 4. They are all in temporary housing while their human parents are in transition thanks to the USAF. Two (Onyx and Zelda) live here with us; one (Zeus) lives nearby with SSgt. Dan's parents; and one (George) lives with the Princess and Prince Valiant. You can see their pictures here at Lulu's blog.
  • The Princess and Prince Valiant have 1 of their own (Fergie).
  • The Bear has 1. That one - Pepper - is a permanent resident of this house, as is the Bear.

A few weeks ago I told you that we reintroduced Pepper, and introduced Onyx and Zelda, to the city's dog park, That was a gloriously beautiful Saturday, the first nice Saturday of the year, and it almost seemed as though everyone within driving distance who had a canine companion was there. You can surely understand why.

We decided a couple of weeks ago to go back on a Tuesday and to stop at Dan's parents' house to get Zeus. Lou wasn't sure how he would react to the park. Aggressive dogs are not allowed for obvious reasons. Zeus isn't normally that aggressive, but he is big and new situations can turn any dog ornery.

That trip turned out to be such a success as Zeus romped around the park with his siblings, cousin, and dogs not previously known that we decided to do it again the next week on Tuesday. Everyone (everydog?) was on their best behavior.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday. We looked at the weather forecast the night before and things looked a bit iffy. But somehow Pepper knew on Tuesday that it was the day we have been going to the dog park. She kept trying to get out of the house - even more so than usual - and getting into the car whether it was in the garage or in the driveway. She also kept running up to me and trying to get me to go with her. Think of Lassie trying to get Timmy's mother's attention after he'd fallen down a well.

So off to the dog park we went. It was a bit cloudy and cold but we went. We just didn't stay quite as long as usual. And we didn't stop to get Zeus.

Later, Dan's mom called Lulu and said that Zeus was very upset. He wouldn't eat Tuesday evening and seemed to be grieving. He had spent the whole day sitting by their front door. Just waiting. Waiting for what? Evidently he was waiting for Lulu to come get him to go to the dog park.

How did they know it was Tuesday? And does going two weeks in a row on the same day constitute a regularly scheduled event?

I've heard it said that every dog has its day. Apparently around here that day is Tuesday.

3 comments :

  1. Aww...that is too cute!! Gotta love dogs!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I'd love to take my dog to a dog park too. Maybe I'll look for one around here. Stopping by from Lynette's blog . . . nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, that's adorable!! :)Dogs are so smart, aren't they? I think that's awesome that they can calculate the days in a week. I swear my puppy can spell. I discovered that if I say the word, "OUT" - she automatically hops up whether she has to go or not. So recently I began spelling it to my teenagers. Ya know, I'm getting ready to go run errands and I say to the kids, "make sure you're paying attention if she needs to go 'O-U-T'." I was getting by with this for a while, but now it would seem that little miss fuzzy buns has figured out that "O-U-T" means outside and she instantly jumps up as if to say, "Lets go!" ha ha. I love dogs and their fun personalities. I think it's really special that you love on your grand dogs. I don't think it's weird at all, I think it's wonderful. You're a good Grammy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)