Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How It All Began

O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together. Psalm 34:3

Thirty-one years ago today Pastor Dad got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. In front of a restaurant full of people. When we're together and focused on each other we tend not to notice others too much.

Since we had only met 103 days previous by my calculations, you can see that Pastor Dad is not one to waste time once he decides what he wants, or what is the Lord's will, with both things being in agreement, hopefully.

And since we'd only been dating 84 days of that, and not exclusively either, you can see that our decision to marry was not a long, drawn out process once we made up our minds. Much prayer went into the decision, though, lest you think we're totally off our rockers. There probably isn't any way to stop you from thinking that, but we did pray about it before seeking holy matrimony both before and after we met.

"Marry in haste and repent at leisure" is not a quote that applies. We've had to repent from time-to-time but never about our decision to marry.

God is happy, Pastor Dad is happy, and I'm happy so I'm not sure anyone else matters. Oh, yeah, the kids seem happy, too. Sorry gals and guy. I didn't mean to forget you.

When Nephew E, who was the only nephew or niece alive at the time, was told his uncle was marrying, everyone wanted to make sure he understood what my role would be. They asked the little 2-year-old if he knew what an aunt is. He replied, "Yes, it's one of those little bugs I squish on the sidewalk."

Thanks for not doing that to me, Nephew E. I would've missed so much. I'm glad you have a better grasp of homonyms now, too. :)

Thanks Pastor Dad for asking. If you asked me today I'd still say "yes" even with 20/20 hindsight. :D

15 comments :

  1. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! May this next year bring you many new adventures with the Lord! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, am eternally grateful to you both, crazy or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post! I'm glad you got married, because otherwise there would be no me! =) Good decision on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha- We posted at the exact same time, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're like twins born two and a half years apart, that's what I always say.

    (OK, not really. But sometimes we are)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This twins things 2 1/2 years apart would have been a real tough pregnancy for your mom, lol!

    I have a friend who adopted 4 children from New Orleans. The first 2 look like boy and girl twins - they are not related however. They are 3 months apart - adopted at different times. When my friend explains it to people who are so bold as to ask you can imagine the stunned looks she gets. She has also received the comment that I mentioned above. "Hmmm, 3 months apart, that must have been a difficult pregnancy." My friend always says, yup, it sure was and leaves it at that!!!

    Thanks for the chuckle!

    That's too cool that your 'twins' posted at the exact same minute! What are the odds of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember a time in their young lives when they were the same height and they were wearing identical outfits (because my mom always bought them identical outfits. A stranger walked up and said, "Twins! Oh how adorable."

    Karen let it be known in no uncertain terms that SHE was 2 1/2 years older than her sister. Hmmph.

    Now they want to be twins. Go figure!

    Twins would've saved me one birthing "experience" (sans drugs)! sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let the record show: We were not the same height. Close. But not the same. Until our teenage years I was always taller. By a bit. And older. Now, I don't care about that older part as much (go figure).

    The haircuts were identical, I grant you.

    And now I really must go to bed. Even though I have absolutely no intention of getting up at anything resembling a decent hour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for saying yes. Thanks for being you. Thanks for becoming "us."

    Love
    Pastor Dad

    ReplyDelete
  10. To all who read these comments (nd wonder why in the world I post them on my own blog!:

    I'm wondering myself why Karen didn't choose the law as her profession. She and the Princess would've made a formidable team. :)

    It is true that when they were 5 years and 2 1/2 years old respectively Karen was ever so slightly taller than Lisa. Since Karen was walking and Lisa was riding in the grocery cart I don't think the stranger could tell. The haircuts and clothes were identical but the girls weren't. They looked like fraternal twins.

    Karen did manage to hold a slight height advantage until they were teenagers. Then Lisa shot up to her adult height, which is around 5'7" I think. It might be a stretch to say Karen made it to 5'4".

    Now I'm sure they will need to tell their exact heights because I obviously don't know that information. (sigh) Nothing like a blog to start family dialog!

    P.S. To Pastor Dad: I'm not sure you knew what you were getting yourself into but it's nice that 31 years later you don't regret it. Thanks for not contradicting me when I said you are happy. This comment would've looked quite different if you had!

    And what a wonderful way with words (both then and now)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! Hope you guys have an even better year together than last year:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this your marriage anniversary or engagement anniversary. I'm slow. :-)
    Donna
    Happy whatever anniversary it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Engagement anniversary.

    We were married in July.

    Thanks for the kind thoughts. I look forward to getting back to reading your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary! :) No, I don't think you're crazy! ;) My husband and I met on December 31, '06 and we're married June 30, '07! :D At a year and a half it's worked just fine. :D Maybe I'll blog about it in 30 years and update you!! ;D Love, Britt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, that was sweet. :) When you know, well, you just know!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)