Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

There have been instances when something seemed like a good idea at the time but later turned out not to be. For instance, I remember many years ago when we needed to replace a car. I was pregnant with Karen and we lived far from the hospital so we bought a newer vehicle.

Unfortunately, this was when Chrysler's electronic ignitions were junk somewhat unreliable so the car we bought that seemed like a good idea at the time turned out not to be. The Chrysler didn't like cold weather, which we have in abundance, so it left us stranded more than once. Good thing Karen was born in the spring or there might really be an interesting incident to report here concerning bad ideas.

Lately I've been pondering more recent things that seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm not so sure that they were. For instance:
  • Last year we enrolled the Bear in a homeschool basketball program. Their coach often had the boys scrimmage with the girls' team. Those girls towered over the boys like Amazons and could beat them soundly. The Bear was always in a bad mood whenever I picked him up from practice after his team had played the girls' team. I guess male ego, and being short for his age, didn't set too well with him.

Now everyone is a year older and the boys - including the Bear - are taller than, as tall as, or almost as tall as, those same girls. Yes, he noticed.

  • Last year we bought the Bear a phone so that we could keep track of his whereabouts. HA! Like that is ever going to happen! The need for it became apparent when me yelling from the front door no longer brought him running home. Calls to his friends' houses also had the same result, or more accurately, the lack of result. One day we were driving in a valley between a couple of hills a few miles away from the one we live on. As we crossed a large bridge spanning a wide creek he exclaimed, "Oh! So this is where that bridge is located." It was obvious that he was traveling a lot further than the sound of my voice so a phone was added to a pocket of his cargo pants as soon as one could be arranged.

Now he has friends (some female) to communicate with on an almost constant basis. Last night as we left the basketball games he began to text almost as soon as the door shut beside him. When I asked him "with whom" he pointed to the car driving directly ahead of us. I suggested rolling down the windows and yelling but he didn't like that idea. Besides, it was too cold. Yes, he has unlimited texting. We checked. Her mother said she does also. She checked. Good thing, too.

Chances are if I am the one trying to reach him it still isn't likely to happen. I think my calls are being screened. My odds of success haven't risen much since I gave up yelling out the front door. The neighbors seem happier, though.

  • Remember a few months ago when I played hooky and didn't go to the far-off basketball game? See here to refresh your memory.

Now it looks like that $5 bus trip might've cost me a whole lot more than I bargained for. Yep! The girls team was along for the ride. I expect that idea to be coming back to haunt me with interest for quite awhile.

7 comments :

  1. I can't even begin to list the number of things that I've done that seemed like a good idea but turned out not to be! You never know ... and I've done things I thought weren't good ideas but they turned out OK.

    thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I talked to him today (I was calling for you) and he said he was hoping to go watch the girls basketball game. Sounds like fun for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I invited a young man home for Sunday dinner and he's now my son-in-law (and a good one I'll add). :-) I'm carefully screening the girls we invite over. You never know. :-)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know... It was "onthecreekagain" who gave "onthebranch"'s cell number to that "young man". He started calling me and I was like "Just who do you think gave out my info, MOM??" :P I'd also started recieving emails from said "young man". :D I wasn't happy about it at the time, but it does seem to have worked out quite well!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was a nice guy.:-)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you're doing that already, but this is definitely the time to pray for that future d-i-l and for your son to make right choices and seek God's Will. My the time passes so quickly! It was easy for me to let my girls fly than to watch my son - he did make some poor choices - yet God turned him around and all is well. But the in between time was tough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the beginning of that post I was afraid you were going to say that I had been a good idea at the time but not so much now. I'm glad the post went a different direction.

    We are all in for a interesting time with the Bear. At least he still loves us and tolerates us, for the most part. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)