Monday, January 19, 2009

If You Need Directions Contact MomMom

Pastor Dad and I talked of getting a GPS. The only problem, besides money, is that we have two cars. Buying one would present a dilemma.

Should it go in Pastor Dad's car? He is the one who occasionally needs help trying to find peoples' addresses while out making visits.

Or should it go in my car? I'm the one driving the Bear all over creation in the name of basketball.

Since Pastor Dad is the one who requested one for Christmas he should rightly be able to lay claim to it. But since I didn't buy him one it is obvious that I didn't pay attention to anything he said when he started listing things. Well, that's not exactly true, but we won't go into that now. I think he liked the gifts he did receive even if I've forgotten what they were just a mere four weeks later. That doesn't mean that he's forgotten. Think quickly, honey. A quiz is obviously coming.

My main reason for not purchasing a GPS for his car is that we've had a fairly reliable system installed for years that works for peanuts - er peanut butter. See previous post.

While others drive around talking to things called On Star, Garmin, and TomTom, my family just calls MomMom. They know she's fairly reliable. And since she's usually at the computer she's fairly quick, too.

The MomMom system has been tested in recent weeks by both Pastor Dad and the Princess. Here is how it works:

Caller: Hey! Are you sitting at the computer?

Lovely female voice:

  • Yes. (If so. This is the default mode.)
  • No, but I can get there in a hurry. (If not.)

Caller: Look up the address and directions to {fill in the blank} for me.

Lovely female voice: Hold while I check 411.com or Google for the address and phone number. Then I'll check either Mapquest or Expedia maps to find its exact location. In the meantime, please tell me where you are so that I can give you directions.

This system works so well that I know of only 2 people who cannot use it. One is the Bear who is still too young to drive but counting the months (28) until he can. He will surely use this system himself once the coveted driver's license is obtained, unless he is a stubborn male who refuses to ask directions of anyone, particularly the woman with the lovely female voice.

And the other person who cannot use it is me, the lovely female voice. Doesn't that automatically mean that my car should receive the GPS installation should we ever get around to buying one? I'm just saying.

I mean, I talk to myself a lot but usually only when I'm alone or writing this blog, neither of which is particularly helpful when driving to unknown places for away games in obscure locations. While I have talked to myself in those situations (I'm not alone, obviously, but essentially so when the Bear is sleeping in the passenger seat) and lost I've usually said things like, "Stay calm! You're bound to run out of corn fields eventually. There must be a major street somewhere within the next 50 miles or so that will take you back to civilization."

Next time I run into problems maybe I'll call my own MomMom and start out by saying, "Hey! Are you sitting at the computer?"

Seems to be a top-rated system by those who use it.

8 comments :

  1. Or you could, I'm just brainstorming here, call me. I am always by the computer.

    Certain people call us for directions even when we're not near our trusty computer. (Princess for instance). Fortunately we know where everything is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just like to remind everyone that it was me who got Princess to the outlet Saturday. The oulet in another state!

    But that's probably the last time my directions will be helpful. Karen's right- call her, not me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, Kelly, YOU are the one who got the Princess and Hubby to the Outlet Mall in the other state on Saturday? Then why did they waste my time doing detailed searches, etc. and even, "How many streets on the left is it once I cross the Interstate overpass?" They called me twice.

    If anything, it looks like it was a group effort just so they could buy clothes. Which, by the way, I made clear she still has a closet full of right here in our own house.

    Her reply was some lame excuse having to do with pregnancy, not fitting, and yada, yada, yada...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the TimTim unit installed when hubby (Tim) and I are traveling together. He's already been on the internet and printed maps out from there or Streets and Roads and done the same. We ALWAYS know where we're going unless of course we get off course and then it's the "drive in circles and argue" program that kicks in. He keeps driving and I argue that if he will stop I'LL ask for the directions and he can duck in the car and they won't know it's him that got us lost. :-) Works for us.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Dad should just buy cell phones with the gps feature on them, then you both will have one. I don't call you for directions. I just call you when I need to know the time of our church functions. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sticking with my story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First Mom takes credit, then Kelly, while I thought Philip and I were the ones to get them there. Why in the world did D & L call us twice too? Did they call everyone twice just for fun? And, may I add, we were nowhere near a computer as we directed them to the outlet.

    Group effort is right. Except by group I mean: "Philip and Karen and their girls yelling in the background". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. After consulting my secretary I see that I received, for Christmas, a season of Monk and a verstile Cd/cassette player for my church office.

    Love,
    Pastor Dad

    P.S. You are my favorite person in the world.

    P.P.S My version of MOM/MOM tells me how to get where I want to go but has the added feature of telling me when I need to be there and why.

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)