Monday, January 26, 2009

Volcano Karabeth Is About to Erupt

This has not been a good day. A certain dog and child have just about sent me over the brink and I'm about to spew forth fire and brimstone. My blog might not be deemed lovely after this as any lemons that come my way might be used to pelt someone in lieu of making lemonade. You can recall my awards if you must. {Sob}

I cannot think of a more terrifying sound than hearing a dog attack followed closely by my son yelling. Forget the panic I felt last month at the mall when my wallet went missing. That's not even close to what I felt when I could hear the above happening outside my window.

Everyone knows from my last post that Pepper is no angel, unless you count fallen ones, but she was not the dog who caused the adrenalin to begin flowing today. She is actually the hero of this story. The Bear had taken her out for her "constitutional" which consists of walking her back and forth on her leash in the front yard until she finds the blades of grass that she wishes to bless. The ritual was interrupted by two of the neighbor's dogs who decided that Pepper and the Bear should not be allowed to grace the neighborhood with their presence.

The younger of the two attacked Pepper. A fight ensued with my son hanging on to his dog for dear life and shouting at the top of his lungs. Pepper fought valiantly even with the Bear dragging her toward the front door. By the time I arrived the fighting was taking place on my doorstep. I felt like the angels who pulled Lot in the door when the men from Sodom were harassing him. The Bear and I pulled Pepper (who had gained the upper paw by that time) inside the house and I kicked the other dog to keep it from coming in with us. The other, older dog wisely just stood there watching to see who would win. Then it ran off with the unholy terror close behind.

I called the owner's phone number and reached the man of the house. Our conversation did not go well at first. He insisted his dogs were inside. Oh yeah? You might want to check that. The last I saw them they were running down the street after a person out for a brisk walk and that walk was getting brisker by the second. And of course the usual, "My dogs would never attack anybody or anything." Well, I know the Bear was not making anything up because I'm the one who interrupted the fight. And you better be glad that it was only my dog that your dog got his teeth on and not my son. The owner did apologize once he realized that I was very angry. After all, our usual policy had been to take their dogs back home when we've seen them loose like the Bible admonished the Israelites about returning neighbors' livestock. Our neighbor knew this, I think, because a few times this same dog broke its chain and we shut it in our kennel until the owners came home.

Later I dropped the Bear off for basketball practice and since I was still a bit overwhelmed by previous events I decided not to go into the gym to chat with other mothers. I had brought a book and wanted to be alone so I went to Panera Bread to sit quietly, snack, and read.

The first few minutes were peaceful. I was in a booth and other people were sitting nearby with their laptops, books, and newspapers, pretty much doing what I was doing. Suddenly a little rubber ball came bouncing onto my table, took off in another direction, then shot back over to me and came to a stop next to my feet after bouncing against the bottom of my table a few times. It was retrieved by a 3 year old monster little boy who never even looked at me as he climbed under my table and feet.

Okay, I didn't know the boy was a monster at the time. That didn't become apparent for at least a few more seconds which was when he and his mother sat down in the booth right behind me facing another lady. The boy began kicking the back of my seat angrily and continued until his mother let him out of the booth. He then ran around the whole restaurant yelling and chasing the ball. The first 10 minutes or so he ran a circular path around the ordering area to the seating one stopping only long enough to yell, "Hey Momma!" at the top of his lungs from two booths away from her.

Mom would answer, "Hello, Precious!" and the game would continue. Once that game lost its luster he wandered to the front of the restaurant to pester the business men with laptops conducting meetings with other men with laptops. On those occasions she'd retrieve the child after he'd been gone about 5 minutes but she'd never say a word of apology to anyone. She just took it for granted that everyone in the building was helping her keep her son inside. That's the part that really worried me. I wondered how long it would be before that ball went out the door when retreating individuals left the establishment and the kid would naturally follow.

I waited long enough to see her retrieve him one more time before I left. I decided that fighting the long lines at Kroger's on a night before a heavy snow is predicted has to be more relaxing than sitting there being terrorized by an unruly toddler and his mother.

And it was.

7 comments :

  1. Don't you just hate when those things all happen at the same time. I'm glad you came to the rescue to save your son and your dog.

    I feel so sorry for that child; it's the parent who has no skills and doesn't know how to set boundaries.
    That is so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can solve all bully dogs you deal with.....Zeus, he does not leave a mess because nothing will be left

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, Dan. We might need to rethink which of your doggie children come to stay with us while you are away. That would definitely take care of that little upstart of a dog.

    Do you think I could pass Zeus off as a service dog and take him to Panera with me? That would certainly take care of my other problem if it should occur again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck! You make Zeus sound like a vicious killer, when all he does is lie around and whine when he wants petted, or bark when he wants inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Zeus is a vicious killer, however, I wasn't so sure about that little dog yesterday.

    As for the little boy, I don't want anything to happen to him or any other child, but I wouldn't mind having a scary looking dog (that's definitely Zeus) so that maybe mom's like her would keep a better eye on their offspring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had a battle with two dogs. I've been between a cat and a goat one time. I ended up bit by the cat, had to go to the doctor for an infection it caused and then the health department got involved. They came to quarentine my cat. That was hilarious. She happened to be outside and she disliked people. This was a lady who was kind of scary so she did not get the cat caught. I promised to quarentine her and did. They came back a week or so later and checked her for rabies. The goat belonged to the children and I was going to put it on a tie out in the yard so they could play. The cat was in the basement which was her territory and as I reached in for the tie out she attacked. She hopped on me and the goat. Not pretty. Still got my pretty little scar. :-)
    I don't like dogs who roam. I keep mine in my yard and expect others to do the same.
    We've got tons of ice and expecting more. Britt had a big tree to fall at her house. They got it sawed up.
    Take care.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like this post was a cathartic exercise for you. It sure was enjoyable to read! I've never read such an eloquent recital of such awful experiences. I am curious as to what breed of dog was attacking Pepper and Aaron (Sorry, I just can't bring myself to call him Bear. I'm assuming that's a maternal hypocorism anyway.)

    Thanks for visiting the Oxgoad, by the way. Hope to see you there again.

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)