Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Books of March 2009

Well, I did a little bit better this month. I can't say that I actually had much more time to read than I did in February, but with Lulu here to do the laundry one can only imagine how much more time I will have during this next month. :)


  1. The Christian Lover, by Michael A. G. Haykin. This is a book that Pastor Dad bought for me while I was away in TN for the basketball tournament at the end of February. Before you get the wrong idea, see here for more information. This volume is a compilation of historical letters written mostly between husbands and wives whose names most would recognize. I loved the book. Read it.

  2. No One Cares What You Had for Lunch, by Margaret Mason. This is the book that has 100 seed thoughts for blog ideas. I was able to read this quickly as I was riding in the car one afternoon. I was particularly amused that while reading #10 "Get Nostalgic" which has a classic notebook paper picture with the words "BOYS ARE SEXXY" on it I looked up to see a boy who looked like he hadn't washed himself or his clothes in weeks. The clothes were also such that they were just barely covering his robust stomach and his pants were riding low. Not particularly "sexxy" in my opinion. But the book was full of brainstorming ideas.

  3. Patriots in Petticoats, by Shirley Raye Redmond. This is a fairly new children's book (2004) about heroines of the American Revolution. I read it mainly to see how biased the history in it might be. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was well rounded. Women who sewed and cooked for the troops were presented as being just as important to the cause of liberty as those who fought in disguise or took positions behind the cannons of fallen men. I know this is a kid's book. But as a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution I am always interested in reading the stories of patriots. I was also aware of the fact that many recognized patriot ancestors are, in fact, women. Something to consider if you desire membership but can't find a man in your line who soldiered.

  4. In Faithfulness He Afflicted Me, by Lynnette Kraft. If you STILL are not familiar with Lynnette's story you really must go over to her blog and familiarize yourself with the premise of this book and see the adorable pictures of her children. Lynnette gave birth to 9 children but 3 of them are waiting for her in Heaven. This book is about the lessons that she has learned about God from her experiences. Lynnette is one of the people who personifies the type of person I mentioned in my post about Idolatry who did not shake her fists at God in anger or make her children her object of worship. Yes, she questioned, as anyone would. But she never lost her faith. Here is a direct quote from the book:

"It makes it seem worth it all when I can share even bits and pieces of what God has done and hear that somebody's life was touched as a result of my testimony. I want the opportunity to share our story on a bigger scale. I want others to witness the mighty power of God! But I also hope that God will give more to me. More trials? Perhaps. But certainly more love, more hope, more faith, more joy, more compassion, and more of himself every day. I don't necessarily wish for more trials, but I've seen God close up during them, and I acknowledge that his greatest working in my life has been through them."

That pretty much says it all.

5 comments :

  1. I don't know how you find time to read so much! I do well to get my daily several chapters of the Bible read, SS lesson prepared, etc! If I were a fast reader, I might be able to do better, but, alas! I have always been an extremely sloooooow reader and must have TOTAL peace and quiet while reading or I get absolutely NOTHING out of it!

    That being said, several of these books have captured my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My books arrived yesterday--thanks so much! I've already enjoyed looking through them!!

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine. Come back soon and meet Baby Jack...our little miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, when Lulu is done at your house, can you send her over?

    Thanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps - are you going to Cincy this week for the HS conference?

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)