Friday, February 13, 2009

Good Deal at Biggs

Okay, yes, I am on a shopping kick right now. That's because we've slowly been replenishing the freezer that had to be emptied when the power was off in September due to Hurricane Ike. We're getting there slowly but surely. Last night I came across a deal at my local Biggs - besides the Pump Perks, which is coming along nicely, I might add - and I felt I should alert some of you just in case you are interested.

I stopped at Biggs to buy their skinless, boneless chicken breast for $5.99 because that purchase alone allowed us to get $0.15 off per gallon of gas at a nearby gas station. One of the workers alerted me to the big meat sale they had going on. Since the cases were absolutely stocked with meat I know that this sale has to include today, and maybe tomorrow, too. Call your local Biggs if you want to make sure.

Here's how it works:
  • Buy 5 packages of meat specially marked with the tag "Pick-5 for $19.99." Hint: the regularly marked price is on the package. Hunt through the freezers until you find the largest priced items in the case.
  • At check out your items will all reprice so that it is like paying $4.00 per item.
I stocked up on packages of chicken and a few of beef. When I got home I divided the portions into Ziploc freezer bags (found on sale elsewhere) and added any desired marinades. Then I froze the portions. I made sure to take into account that Lulu is going to be living with us. It isn't that she is a big eater. It is that I want her to be able to eat! Bear takes his meals seriously.
After I got done figuring I found that I could get 10 chicken meals from 5 packages. This would feed our family (of 4 counting Lulu when she gets here). I put at least 5 pieces of chicken in each bag so that the Bear and Pastor Dad could have an extra piece to wrestle over at the dinner table. :)
Let's see. That comes to $2 a meal, not including the drinks and veggies. Nice.

3 comments :

  1. You're welcome!

    I probably should've mentioned in my post that we are 4 "adults" because Bear obviously is one when it comes to his food portions. A person with small children could put fewer pieces in each freezer bag and get more meals out of it.

    I combined the old chicken plan of cooking once a month with this deal so that we won't have to wonder each night what is for dinner. (More time to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like shopping for good deals sound is a profitable hobby for you .... same as it is for hubby, who does the shopping for our two-some! With my list of course!

    ReplyDelete