Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Too Tired to Think in TN

Tuesday is usually the day that I post my thoughts about understanding and combating depression. Not this week.

I have had a marathon day of traveling to Tennessee for the basketball tournament. I really don't want to think about "depression" right now. My car was part of a 5 vehicle caravan that made an excruciatingly long journey today. Did you know that it is no fun to follow a bus? Trust me. I finally had enough while maneuvering through rush hour in Knoxville and struck out on my own. (I had a co-pilot, so I wasn't totally on my own.) We all ended up in the same place, just not at the same time.

Being here in Dayton, TN has brought back many memories. I know that I usually save my Walk Down Memory Lane posts for Wednesday, but I won't be posting one tomorrow. Y'all can click the button on my left sidebar and visit Lynette Kraft's blog, Dancing Barefoot on Weathered Ground anyway just to read the memories linked there by others. I'll be back with my own next week when today's trip will be just a memory, too.

Did y'all notice how easily I've slipped back into southern-speak? It came back to me like I'd never left it.

Many things came back to me today. I remember two previous visits to this very city many years ago. Pastor Dad would probably remember the ferry ride across the TN river and the way it seemed to aggravate a very nasty stomach bug that he had acquired. The ferry is now gone. It was replaced by a bridge. I was saddened by that realization.

I also passed the courthouse where we brought a group of kids after Vacation Bible School one year. We were visiting where the Scopes trial took place. Memories...

I saw the sign stating that Fall Creek Falls is just a few miles up the road. I remember how the Bear used to call the place "Hiking the heights" in reference to both the hilly hike we took to the falls and the VBS theme that year. I didn't tell any of his basketball buddies about that today. I didn't want to embarrass him. I noticed the only time the Bear sidled up to me today was when he needed money for food. Then he wasn't embarrassed to be seen with his own private ATM (Ask The Mom).

I'll keep you up-to-date on my travels if I'm not too tuckered each evening. I must do something to make it worthwhile to have a new laptop and access to free Internet.

2 comments :

  1. Good Morning!

    All quiet here on the Northern Front. Miss you. Was glad to read your blog today.

    Love you

    yso

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember that trip to Fall Creek Falls! If memory serves me correctly, my dear Grannie Gilbert wouldn't traverse the path down to the falls due to a past accident on that very trail in which she broke her arm.

    Please pray for her, she's going through some tests right now. They just removed a tumor that was blocking her small intestine, and come to find out it might be malignant and forming spots on her liver. We're hoping it won't be anything serious and if it is that we've caught it in time to treat it.

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)