Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How to Lose Followers

Blogging is an interesting social medium. I must admit that when I first began this little adventure most of my social activity revolved around my family and close personal friends. I'm not sure I can make anyone understand just how shocked I was when someone began following me who didn't actually know me. Like "know me personally" know me.  This little ol' introvert began exploring the websites of people that she didn't know personally either and began to make new friends.

In those early days I blogged here about everything that interested me: grandchildren, church, genealogy, travel, saving money, cooking and a host of other family interest things. Every so often someone would follow me as the result of 1 topic. 1 topic! That's great, except that I rarely restrict myself to one topic.

Except for the Bible Reading Schedule.

I began that in 2010 totally for my own usage but decided that others might be interested to try it. As you probably know - since you are reading this - the schedule has changed and grown and basically taken on a life of its own these past three years. I think that is fantastic! But it also revealed a problem. Those who followed for the genealogy left when the genealogy posts grew scarce.

That reminds me of a Bible analogy but I'll come back to that. :)

For those of you that are interested, let me steer you in the direction of my new genealogy blog called Past Times are my Pastime. It will take me awhile to get a few more articles posted there (as well as copying - not moving - the ones that have been posted here under the GENEALOGY tab at the top) so don't get impatient with me, but do go over and see it. While you're there feel free to leave me a comment to tell me what you think. Or leave me a comment here telling me what you think. Either one works for me. Just leave me a comment. Really.

Now for that Bible analogy.

Jesus had followers, too. At one point he had many, many followers. We know this because the gospels tell us that at one point He miraculously fed 5,000 men and that didn't include the women and children. A few days later He again miraculously fed 4,000 men and their families by multiplying a few meager pieces of bread and fish. Wow! Did the people love him!!!!!

Then He stopped feeding them physical food and started telling them that they needed to accept the spiritual food He was providing. Suddenly they weren't so interested. It seems that some were only interested in "The Jesus Food Bank." He immediately lost followers. As a matter of fact, He asked his disciples if they would also leave Him. You know the answer. They didn't because they were interested in the eternal "food" He had to offer them.

Please don't misunderstand me. Jesus had only one mission (to be the mediator between God and man) but his followers didn't understand that. I, on the other hand realize that some of my blog followers joined thinking that this is a genealogy blog when it isn't and was never designed to be but now I do have a blog that is and was designed to be. Genealogy is my hobby. A good hobby, but a hobby nonetheless. And it needs to have its own space.

The focus of On A High Hill will remain entirely as it is, which means its focus will be the Bible, frugality, and family (the living members). The focus of Past Times are my Pastime will be genealogy and family (the deceased members).  Hope that's clearer than mud to everyone.  :)

Now if only I could figure out what to do about my those confused Twitter followers!

1 comment :

  1. Cute title for your new blog! I can't even keep up with one, never mind two! All the best to you! My dad was the one who used to love genealogy - he had documentation from the 1600s. I think my brother's son with the family name has that in his possession. I keep wondering if it's expensive to have that as a hobby! Another blog friend, Betsy, loves genealogy as a hobby but she posts about gorgeous waterfalls, roses and the fabulous birds! Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)