Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Experience Needed

An opportunity presented itself today to encourage someone dealing with a difficult situation. This person confided in me about a problem she was experiencing and knowing that I am a pastor's wife she figured that I might know someone who had encountered the same thing. I assured her that, yes, I did know someone who had been through the same thing. When she asked if that person would mind speaking to her privately I assured her that she would not and that "that person" was talking to her right at that moment. She was somewhat taken aback. Pastors' wives evidently are only supposed to know of others who have struggled but are not supposed to actually struggle themselves. Oh, if only that were true!

Inevitably, she asked how I had handled it when confronted with the same problem. "Not very well," I told her. Again, the surprised look of one who expects that God just automatically programs a pastor's wife with enough wisdom and grace to travel the paths of life without getting cuts and bruises or picking up burrs and nettles along the way. Again, oh, if only that were true! I explained that while I had failed miserably God had triumphed gloriously.

After we concluded our discussion I thought about this unexpected encounter. It became clear that our experiences can make us an encouragement to someone who needs it. Who can know the grace of God when one never has a bad day? What use is faith that looks toward better things if all one ever sees are good things? Why believe in an omnipotent God if one never has an impossible burden that He needs to carry?


At times I have had trouble understanding the words of I Thessalonians 5:18, "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you," but not so much anymore. It is a blessing to see that God can use our experiences to give someone hope.

I thought of trials God has helped me endure and the people He placed in my path at a critical point in their lives, but there are many things that I have never experienced and pray I never do: the death of a child, widowhood, death of a parent, divorce, arrest, cancer, bankruptcy, or other heart-breaking situation. But maybe you have. If so, someone out there needs your experience to help them through their own time of pain. I pray that the Lord puts someone in your path this week like He did for me and that you will be willing to share what He taught you at just such a time.

3 comments :

  1. This has already been the case in my life the past few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post and so true. Have had similar life experiences. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)