Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Scriptures That Helped Us Decide to Homeschool

Returning now to my little article series on the decision made 30 years ago to homeschool our children, I wanted to list a few of the scriptures that convinced me that the Lord wanted us to do so. The object is not to tell other people what they should do. This series has been my own testimony of what we felt was the answer to a very definite prayer request. (The first 2 articles can be found here and here.)

The secret to success of any educational system is the parents. It doesn't matter if the system is the public school, a Christian/parochial school, or homeschooling. The parents are ultimately accountable for every facet of a child's needs and that obviously includes his or her education.


Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep. Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man, so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. Psalm 127

There are many things in this Psalm that spoke to our hearts. For instance, we realized that if the LORD did not help us establish our home all of our labors, no matter how worthy they seemed at the time, would end in failure. We wanted the Lord to build our home and to provide the protection for it. We needed His protection for our home.

These verses also state that children are the LORD's heritage. Perhaps I misunderstand this verse, but as someone who likes studying their own heritage, it appears that the LORD is stating His kinship to children. That would mean that our offspring belong to Him and are only loaned to us for a season. I think this is taught elsewhere, such as in the New Testament where Jesus teaches His disciples not to scorn the children because they are such that make up God's Kingdom. We also see in the New Testament that the gifts (sometimes called talents) given then require a great deal of responsibility while they are in the steward's care (cf. Luke 12:41-48 for the parable).

These verses also imply that our offspring are their father's weapons. Hmm. Why would we need weapons? Ask my son-in-law, Dan. He'd tell you that weapons are used for warfare. So, what kind of warfare would a Christian father be waging? Spiritual warfare, specifically when it comes to protecting his household.

Can our children really be the weapons God uses to fight a spiritual battle for our homes? Solomon, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, seemed to say so! He continues his city analogy stating the father's ability to beat the enemy at the door with the arrows in his quiver. This brings this Psalm full circle as we consider that God said He had to be the protecting the home and that He uses the children (arrows) He places in it to do it. Surely it is understood that our children are the ones who will keep the faith alive for future generations when the enemy ramrods the gate.

Could we raise children as arrows of faith if we didn't homeschool them? Yes, and many people do so. But given our own desires to stay together as a family through any circumstance (mentioned as one of the "pro" homeschooling decisions in the previous article) we knew it would be difficult if we didn't homeschool.

That leads to the next scripture portion.

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD they God with all thine heart, and with all they soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates. Deuteronomy 6:4-9

If there is anything these verses tell me it is that teaching my children about the LORD takes time. Time together is something that would have been at a premium if we had taken the other route. I knew from experience that long days of managing a classroom meant that I was only diligent about one thing when I got home: sleep! I feared I would not have much energy to talk to my children diligently about the LORD early in the morning (most likely I'd be diligently rushing them out the door like I do The Bear now on co-op days), or when I sat in my house (I'm the kind of person who craves quiet and alone time in the evening). I felt I could do the rest, but these scriptures seemed to indicate that getting my faith across to my kids was going to require a whole lot more time than I was prepared to give it while hustling through the evening routine and bedtime prayers.

The part about keeping scriptures before their eyes was important to me also. Frankly, that's why the public school wasn't an option we considered since any mention of the Bible has almost been removed from its classrooms except in a derogatory way. The Christian school option would meet that stipulation if we chose that route. As for our home, well, if you come to our house and you don't see scripture almost everywhere you turn, then you must be looking at the ground. As a matter of fact, you can't escape it there either because even the door mat on the front porch has a scripture verse on it.

May I add a disclaimer? Not all of my days have been God-honoring. My children were witness to my very worst behavior. Do I wish they had not seen my depression or anger? Obviously, but I can't change the past. I can say that while I'm very sad that my children saw me slide into the Slough of Despond I'm equally very happy to say that they also saw the Lord, their father, and even themselves lift me out of it. They saw real life and that included the good with the bad. Sinful behavior was followed by repentance and restoration. I'm overjoyed that my children were witness to that part of the Christian walk, too.

Okay, there was another familiar verse that spoke volumes to me about homeschooling my children.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
This scripture advocates tailoring the training (or education) to fit the individual child. I am often asked which curriculum I use. My reply is always, "Which child? And which year? Or what subject?" because there were very few years where we used a cookie-cutter curriculum. Our methods were as eclectic as the personalities of the individuals who used them. We're still that way.

God made us all with unique characteristics that must be encouraged to reach our highest learning potential. Also, God endowed each individual with certain gifts and abilities. Our job as parents isn't to turn our children into geniuses but to help them discover the abilities God has placed within them and to use those for His glory.

Our children are all different and we embrace and celebrate their unique personalities and talents. We didn't always get everything right, but we did try to identify their needs and meet them as well as we could. I stand in awe as their talents and abilities still unfold.

Let me leave you with just a few more passages to consider.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck. My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not. Proverbs 1:7-10

The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him. Thy father and thy mother shall be glad, and she that bare thee shall rejoice. Proverbs 23:24, 25

Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply thine heart unto my knowledge. For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee, they shall withal be fitted in thy lips. That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee. Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge, That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth, that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee? Proverbs 22:17-21

I'm so very thankful that we made the decision to homeschool Karen, Lisa, the Princess, and the Bear. Although we've missed the financial boost of a second income, we can say that we didn't miss out on much else. It remains to be seen if it is the Lord's Will for me to go back into teaching as a profession once this leg of the journey is completed. One thing is for sure, though. These four will always be this teacher's pets!

1 comment :

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)