Friday, February 18, 2011

Busy Week!

I'm sneaking a peak at a few of my friends' and family's blogs this morning before I head out the door.  Just wanted to drop a note here saying that I'll be back writing when I can.  In the meantime, here's what has been happening lately:
  • Pastor Dad spoke at a Valentine banquet last Saturday evening.  It was so nice of him to take me along.  :)
  • The Bear was suddenly added to the varsity team roster (he plays jv) and had to dress for a Saturday night game. Thanks to Philip for providing transportation to the event and for being there to watch The Bear's varsity debut in our absence.  Sob!  Okay, the boy was only in for a couple of minutes, but I still missed one of my baby's milestones.
  • Most of the family was present for Sunday dinner.  This was only the second time we've been together for Sunday dinner so far this year, which is highly irregular.  We don't usually do small Sunday dinners either.  But this weekend we just had breakfast casseroles with homemade biscuits, fruit salad, and a heart-shaped Valentine cake that I made from a mix. 
  • The Bear had a basketball game that began about the time that our Sunday evening service ended.  It's tournament season.  Groan!
  • Monday was co-op day.  I taught my Ohio History class dressed in character as the widow of William Henry Harrison, our local boy who became President.  I dressed totally in home-made (not all by me) things and carried items that would be good period knock-offs.  The year?  1861.  Yes, Mrs. Harrison's life spanned the time of the American Revolution until her death during the Civil War in1864.  Not only did that cover a lot of Ohio history, but it also set the stage for our next Ohio boy-turned-President, Ulysses S. Grant.
  • Also on Monday, I taught the Apologia Physical Science class.  I got to discuss Einstein's Theory of Relativity.  Yes, it really was one of those days!  Between the costuming in my earlier class and the possibility of my brain exploding from discussing Einstein, I felt I was in desperate need of a nap after co-op!
  • It didn't happen.  The nap, I mean. Our church held its Valentine banquet that evening and I was the hostess.  Since I had many things to do that afternoon to get ready for it The Bear was forced to miss b-ball practice.  The Valentine banquet was very nice, I think, and thanks are due to Karen and Philip for once again providing games for our evening entertainment.
  • Tuesday I was blessed to have lunch with a long-time friend (notice I didn't say "old" friend) and I must say that it rejuvenated my attitude to spend time together chatting.  I then spent time getting some church work done and picking up the boy from basketball practice.  Yes, everything these days seems to revolve around basketball.  Thanks to Pastor Dad for dropping the boy off so that I could enjoy my lunch visit.
  • Wednesday  we actually got some homeschooling done!  In earlier years spring fever was a hindrance to homeschooling at this time of year.  Now basketball is the culprit.  So, yes, I took The Bear to basketball practice, had car trouble, went to church, and went home afterward.
  • Yesterday I went somewhere to apply for a part-time job.  I don't think I'll get it, but I applied.  The Bear applied at the same business for a different position.  If only one of us gets hired, I hope it is him.  Seriously.  Time for The Bear to start earning his own spending money.
  • Also yesterday, there is - you guessed it! - a basketball tournament in Indianapolis that The Bear needed to attend as the newest member of the varsity team.  I met a carpool in the afternoon and sent him on his way.  Then we met the carpool last night and got him back.  He didn't get in the game but he had a wonderful time, and those socialization issues that so many non-homeschoolers seem to worry about were adequately met.  Ha!  Ha!
  • While The Bear was gone yesterday I worked on a mailing for the church.  It took me most of the afternoon.  Since I worked at home I was able to do some much-needed housecleaning at the same time.
  • Today?  Well, today The Bear is back in Indy thanks to the carpool.  However, I must go later to pick him up because the family that drove is not coming back tonight.  Perhaps they need a vacation after all this basketball.  Who knows.  So in the meantime, I've got my grocery shopping to do and some more preparations to make for Sunday that I just don't like to leave until the last minute.
Catch y'all later!

3 comments :

  1. Wow, where have those years gone when my daily journal would have looked like yours???? You are one busy lady! I have always felt that homeschooled children of church families have absolutely no issues with 'lack of socialization'! I suppose children whose families don't live in close communities have a harder time of it, but even then they've come up with co-ops that work really well.

    Have a wonderful week-end and maybe, just maybe, RELAX!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know how you worked on a church mailing and cleaned house at the same time! :D

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)