Thursday, November 6, 2008

Can We Be Serious For A Minute?

This entry is a bit different from my usual. I can't promise you that this will be funny or even the least bit humorous. I have my funny times but I also have my serious ones, too. Like I said earlier today, I talk to myself. Sometimes I have to give myself some pep talks. I'm doing that now. Feel free to pass this one up if you're not up for it.

Our story begins.

Twenty-three years ago Pastor Dad and I loaded up our possessions and moved far away from home because he had taken a church in another state. At the time, I never thought about what effect that move was having on our parents who had to watch us drive away with their grandchildren in tow. To me, it was a big adventure. To our parents, it was heartbreak.

In 1985 there were no personal computers, no e-mail, no instant messaging, no cell phones, and no free long distance. We were only moving 325 miles away from home but we might as well have been moving to South America as far as accessibility to and communication with our family was concerned.

What does all of that have to do with today and the mood I'm in right now? Plenty.

First of all, I am the parent now who has one of my children living far from home. That would be my second child, our Little Lulu (who now calls herself "Lou" so as not be associated with the cartoon character for whom she was nicknamed). She is the author of the "Adventures of a Humble Housewife" blog whose link can be found on the sidebar. I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I am for the advances in technology that allow me to call her, e-mail her, read her blog, etc. from hundreds of miles away almost daily. Wow! Thank you, Lord!

Next, there is our third child. Her nickname really is "The Princess" due to the fact that she is one compact little ruler. This child had her heart broken into a million pieces about 6 months ago and none of us thought that "all the king's horses and all the kings men" would ever be able to put it back together again but Humpty Dumpty is back there sitting on his wall. He's somewhat cracked and battered (aren't we all?) but he is there. Getting him there required that Pastor Dad and I have our hearts broken in the process, though. Until recently, I had no clue what this felt like. I hope I'll be better able to empathize because of it.

Third, there is my youngest, the boy we call "Bear." He's the baby of the family but doesn't seem all that spoiled in spite of the fact that he has three adoring, doting, older sisters, and three adoring, doting, young nieces. The Bear recently made his "calling and election sure." What a thrill it has been for me to watch his young faith grow. If we are chatting about something and the discussion goes in a Biblical direction (which isn't unusual when you homeschool and share your faith with your children constantly as instructed in Deuteronomy chapter 6), Bear will go and search the scriptures to see if the things I've said are so. This doesn't insult me. This pleases me! He is like the Bereans of old. His goal in life is to be "one of the few, the proud, the Marines!" Can you feel my shivers of pride and apprehension?

Then there is my first-born, Karen, whom most of you know already because she is the one who introduced me to the world of blogging. I saw Karen at church last night and she looked like the weight of the world rests upon her shoulders. But you know what? It does.

I've stood where Karen stands so I know a bit about what she's feeling, or at least, I think I do. If I've totally missed the mark I hope she'll forgive me the blunder. I've made many in her lifetime and she has forgiven me each time so far. Here is what I think she's feeling.

Do you know what really motivates us? It is parenthood. I can only speak for myself when I say this, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt it: my whole perspective on life and liberty changed when I became a mother. I suddenly cared about the America I left my children. I no longer could play at being a mother like the two teenaged girls I saw tonight with their school-assigned mechanical babies. My little ones and their world were mostly my responsibility.

We know our citizenship is in Heaven but understand that God expects us to be good citizens of the country where He placed us until He takes us to our Real Home. Therefore, we believe in getting involved. We campaign, we vote, and we fall hard when we lose. This is because we feel a vested interest in the proceedings. We're not innocent by-standers. Karen is the only one of my children who has children of her own (so far!).

So really, what does all this rambling have to do with my leaving twenty-three years ago? Just this. My worries for my children aren't any different than the worries our parents had when we left home for another state. It is just that when we hit a wall the folks back home didn't always know about it. Because of technology I seem to know things about my children's problems and emotions a lot quicker than our parents knew about us. Therefore, we try not to overreact, but we try not to ignore either. But once a parent, always a parent. I am just as concerned for my children as our parents were for us. Those of you who are parents understand.

I wouldn't trade the blessings of this medium for anything! Because of computers I can renew acquaintances with Allyson, one of the girls from that city that used to be so far, far away. I've known her since the day she was born. Literally!

I can also share the lives of sisters in Christ that I've met in the past, those I've never seen before, and even some I see often. Meeting with friends and family almost daily while still wearing my pajamas is great.

Let's hold each other up in prayer! We don't have the answers to all of life's problems, but we know the One Who does!

We can bear one another's burdens! God bless each one of you.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)