Monday, November 17, 2008

The Family Jewels

They are worth millions.

Before anyone attempts to rob us of some fortune they think we're hiding I'd best explain. Our real treasure is in Heaven where thieves can't get it so don't bother trying. There's a pretty tough guard on duty so nothing you dish out can beat His power.

But we've got something here at our house on earth worth millions. My jewels alone are worth over 27 million. Pastor Dad's are worth over 28 million. And therein lies the problem story.

A few months ago my mother gave the Bear her old computer because we talked her into getting another one she wanted a new one. Her old one now sits in our family room next to this one, the one that I'm on right now, because we are cautious people who believe a computer should be in a public place where anyone walking by can see what is on the screen.

If you walk by the Bear's computer you will see wallpaper courtesy of the USMC. It changes from time to time but always remains on that same theme. And except for the occasional checks of email and Facebook, that is about the extent of the Bear's time on "his" computer. If anyone ever did a fingerprint analysis of the keypad and mouse few of the prints would belong to the Bear. In my pre-blog days my fingerprints would probably have been the dominant ones.

Bear's computer wasn't in the house too many days before I found the addictive game of Super Gem Drop on it. It took weeks to get the hang of it, but get the hang of it I did! I wiped my parents' names off the board totally. (The "Clear Scores" option helped.)

I'm one of those crazy mathematicians that likes tessellations (Go look it up!), geometry, and anything else that involves tiles, patterns, and pretty pictures. This game so consumed my imagination that I dreamed about it! I devised combinations and configurations so as to achieve high scores.

And what was Pastor Dad doing all this time? He was lurking. Every night he'd entice me with sweet words such as, "Come play that game and let me watch you. I find it relaxing." And silly me, I'd do it willingly. He'd sit in his chair looking over my shoulder and I'd test my theories. A few times he tempted me with chocolate and got me talking about my strategies. That sly guy knows that chocolate loosens my tongue. If I'm ever privy to national secrets the first person who offers me a Hershey's bar (my contraband of choice) will know all.

A couple of times I had some housework that needed attention and couldn't spare the time. I remember telling him, "If you like the game so much why don't you play it instead of just being a spectator?" So he did. And he beat me. Okay, it took him a few weeks, but HE BEAT ME!

The next time I feel the need to offer such a challenge I hope someone claps their hand over my mouth to shut me up. Since there is only the Bear and Pastor Dad to do it I don't see much chance of that happening. So now Pastor Dad is so addicted to the game that I have to find other ways to occupy myself.

And that's how all of you got stuck with me! :)

2 comments :

  1. Ours was pinball. We found it on our computer, got addicted and then very very very competitive. Spent my free hours trying to top his score. Then the children played and the son-in-law and I quit. Sore loser you might say. ;-)
    Have a good day.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok you brought up games so you and pastor dad will like this one. When i was in high school there was some really cool indiana jones computer game, one where you actually had to solve puzzles and think, not just running around willy nilly you know. My dad started watching me play and he too got interested and started playing.
    Well we played as a team dad would play some, then i would come home and play some more. Finally we were near the end and there was a stumper of a puzzle dad (who is the smartest man i will probably ever know) and I could just not figure out. I don't remember exactly what it was something tells me it had something to do with a boulder. Dad and I racked our brains for a while and could not figure it out. One day I got home and my dad all excited yells hey gail i figured it out, I said o really? How? he said I did this this and that and then you have to do this before you do that!!(ok his exact words I do not remember)
    Anyway I said how in the world did you figure that out? He said I gave up I finally called this hint line!!! I said DAD!! This was before the internet/googleing days. Now for the kicker a month later I come home and my mom starts yelling to me about some phone bill calling lucas arts hint line!!! I hear my dad laughing in the background, I said you are talking to the wrong Gail, she turned her attention elseware LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)