Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sweet Pea Teaches Theology

My grandchildren are brilliant! Even 20-month-old Sweet Pea can teach Theology 101. Or maybe the Lord just uses little Sweet Pea to teach her Gram some lessons because her Gram has such a hard head. Out of the mouth of babes, and such-like.

I have a tendency to grumble. No, really. And when things are not going my way I say to myself, "What did I EVER do to deserve this?" Some of you are getting ahead of me now so someone has probably taught you this same lesson. But I will continue because I think some of you probably need to be reminded again like I did.

I have had a few episodes lately where I asked that question. Then this morning as we were arriving at church to go on door-to-door visitation a minivan pulled up carrying my three granddaughters and their parents. As I was walking toward the church I could hear little Sweet Pea exuberantly jabbering something - who knows exactly what - because she had seen her Gram (me) and her grandad.

The Lord spoke softly to my heart, "What did you ever do to deserve THIS?" Touche.

And as a corollary lesson He taught me what it means in Psalm 100 when it tells me to make a "joyful noise."

Because thy loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:. . . Psalm 63:3-5

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)