Friday, September 3, 2010

Field Trip Friday

This was a different kind of field trip week for us:
  • Pastor Dad went to Louisville, KY and participated in the Andrew Fuller Conference at Southern Seminary.
  • The Bear is currently on his way to Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains where he's spending the weekend with friends.
  • And me? I went shopping!
While Pastor Dad and Philip were gone to Louisville on Monday the Bear and I met Karen and her munchkins at the mall in Florence, KY. We were on a quest for a dress!

This was no ordinary dress. This dress is to be worn by the newest munchkin on her first day in church. It has become a tradition - Polly and Tigger recently reminded me - that Gram buys each grandbaby her first dress. And so began the search for the dress.

This isn't as easy as it sounds. Have you noticed that even the dresses for newborn girls look like they were designed for the Miley Cyrus crowd? Unbelievable! I can't imagine dressing any girl in some of the clothes I saw, but a newborn?!!!

I began to search online for something suitable. I found a few that I liked but I couldn't decide from the grainy pictures that closely resembled the kinds of photos that I am prone to take!  The retailer stated that their Florence store had the dresses in stock. Florence isn't their closest store, but it is the closest that had the dresses.  Comparing the dresses in real life seemed the best option.

We planned our outing to coincide with the two men's absence. I'd say that I felt sorry for the Bear but that isn't true. And he was suitably rewarded for his patience with some new additions to his own wardrobe. The hardest part for him was getting things he liked past the committee of female critics. Come to think of it, that was the hardest part of picking out the baby's dress, too!

The first thing we had to do was d-e-l-i-c-a-t-e-l-y eliminate Sweet Pea's choices. Her three-year-old tastes tended to the gaudy. Big, bright, multi-colorerd polka dots = a three-year-old's dream! Karen made the final decision and it wasn't as hard to convince the rest of the committee of her choice as it was Sweet Pea who held out a while longer for the Bozo the Clown outfit.

I think Baby Girl #4 will look beautiful in her little pink dress on the first day that she attends church. And I can't wait to see her in it! Really, I can't wait to see her! And it won't be too many more weeks before I do.

In other shopping news, I went to the grocery store this week and was handed the following coupon with my cash register receipt:


I don't know about you, but I don't think saving a half-penny is going to convince me to try this, or any, product!

4 comments :

  1. Looking forward to seeing the new grandbaby in the new dress.

    P.S. a ha'penny saved is a ha'penny earned. That's what Poor Richard's half-brother said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like there were more options this time around than from when Sweet Pea was the new baby, but I could be mis-remembering that.

    I really like the one we picked out. Not too shabby for something done via very picky committee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be lovely to see a picture of the wee one!!!

    Yup, it's either the decimal or the cent sign - but not both. We have a staff who makes so many little errors on the monthly activity calendar. She refuses to have someone proof read. When someone pointed out the error recently, I overheard her answer, "Well, I think I'm dyslexic."

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're buying clothes for people in the family, I could always use some :)

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)