Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Thursday Tune-Up

No, this isn't about singing (unless that was one of your New Year's resolutions). This is about getting started right and staying on track.

So . . . did you make any resolutions this year? I did! I'll share a few.
  1. Ride my bike more than last year.
  2. Alternate working out on the treadmill with lifting weights.
These are the resolutions dealing with the "body" part of my being (remember the body-soul-spirit components I mentioned last week?). Here's how I intend to keep these resolutions.
  1. This one is easy! All I'll need to do to is to take the bike off it's hanger in the garage and ride it once. Yes, it was not ridden at all in 2011. Sad, but true.
  2. We already owned the treadmill but we recently added a weight bench to our home gym. You might remember a few years ago that I said I like lifting weights. I used to do my workouts on the floor with hand weights. That all changed when Pepper (our chocolate lab-meth lab mix) decided to turn my workouts into something to rival UFC events. She seemed to feel that since I was already down on the mat a good wrestling match should ensue. I, on the other hand, never wished to take up martial arts. So now I'm up high enough that I can avoid her.

Then I made a few resolutions to do with helping my soul. I equate this aspect with the emotions. It's true that all of these things - body, soul, and spirit - are intertwined because a healthy body and good spiritual relationship with the Lord definitely help the emotions, but I've decided to see myself as a creative person, too (STOP LAUGHING!), who needs a couple of outlets for the talents that God has given me (STOP IT, I SAY!). These are the resolutions concerning creativity.
  1. Sing in church more. (Ha! Ha! Evidently my "tune-up" does have something to do with singing.)
  2. Resume crafts and needlework.
Here are how I intend to meet these goals.
  1. I have been known to sing solos but as rarely as possible. That's because I suffer from stage fright. It's also because I own very few prerecorded background accompaniments. I need to buy more and sign my name to the soloist list at church. (Sigh. This one will be hard.)
  2. I have a few unfinished projects (Hmm. How long has the Princess been married to her Prince? That long, eh? I really must get that wedding sampler finished.) and some new things that I'd like to try. Calvin (remember Calvin and Hobbes?) had his bicycle and I have my sewing machine.
The object of "good emotional health" would obviously be to NOT STRESS OUT if I can't do the above things or not to do them as well as I think I should (Do I have any tendencies toward perfectionism? You think?) but to try to complete a few creative projects and feel good about it.

So what things do you want to start/change/accomplish this year? Whatever they are I'm praying for you and rooting for your success!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)