Monday, January 2, 2012

Memory Monday

Mondays are usually such tough days but some of us are off work this week. Even though most of us are getting our first holiday break of the year today doesn't mean that our minds should be totally on vacation even though most of this week's verses are probably familiar ones. Consider them mental warm up exercises for the weeks ahead and my gift to you. :)

There's something for everyone here. Are all of the verses familiar to you? If so, great! Review them this week. If not, well then, pick one of the unfamiliar ones and see if you can master it. Don't worry if it takes longer than a week to commit it to memory. We're not keeping star charts here (although you're free to keep one yourself if it makes you feel any better). And if the verses listed are just too easy then give the longer Scripture Passage a try. You might know each of them individually but in order as a complete block.

Give it a try! And if you need some help on how to begin try some of the ideas below. Feel free to post your own ideas in the comment section. My aged addled brain is always looking for new ways of remembering things, and not just Bible verses either!
  • Genesis 1:1-2
  • Genesis 1:27
  • Genesis 2:7
  • Genesis 7:15-16
  • Genesis 9:15-17
  • Job 1:21-22
  • John 1:1
  • John 1:2
  • John 1:3
  • John 1:4
  • John 1:5
  • John 1:12
  • John 3:16 (or John 3:16-18 if this verse is just too easy an assignment)
  • John 4:24
  • John 5:24
  • John 8:31-32
Scripture Passage to Memorize: *Give yourself extra credit, perhaps a piece of chocolate (or two).
  • John 1:1-14


MEMORIZATION HINTS:

I memorize things in a variety of ways and the teacher in me likes to help children memorize in ways that seem best suited to their learning types. I seriously doubt there are any children reading this, but I find that some of the things that helped me memorize school assignments as a child still help me learn new things as an adult. See if any of the following suggestions help you.

Some verses can easily be coupled with sing-songy tunes like children's nursery rhyme music and some can be written in phrases such as poetic couplets or rhyming techniques.  Others require lots and lots of writing. 

Do you know your learning style?  If not, an activity listed below might help you have one of those "Ah ha!" moments where one recognizes him/herself from the description.  These are just some of my suggestions.  See if you can think of others.  And if you do, leave me a comment telling me what works for you or someone you know.  I'm always looking for creative ideas for teaching memory verses to children in our summer Vacation Bible School and it isn't too early for me to add to my memory toolbox!

Auditory learners
  • putting the verse to music
  • listening to an Mp3 of the verse
  • having someone else say the verse and repeating it to the person a phrase at a time
  • read the verse aloud to themselves
Visual learners
  • reading the verses after they have been arranged in stanza or phrase form
  • drawing icons or other mnemonic pictures over the top of words in the verse (picture cues)
  • putting the verses on index cards and placing them strategically around the house
  • diagram the verse grammatically (Oh, those English majors!)
Kinetic learners
  • physically write (or type) the verse
  • write each word of the verse on a separate index card and arrange them in correct order
  • place each index card (see above) in proper order onto the floor and step from card-to-card while reading the word.
  • "air writing" each word of the verse
  • act out the verbs in the verse 

I'm a combination learner, as are many, who does well when I see it, sing it, and muscle it around.  Depending on the difficulty, it can take a bit of creativity to make something "stick" in my memory.

God bless you this week as you memorize His Word.  Actually, I think Psalm 1 (just to name one) promises that He will!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)