Monday, January 16, 2012

Memory Monday: A Guest Post, Part 1

This Monday and the next we have a guest writer, Mike Kelly, with us. Today he wants to help us understand "why" it is important to be memorizing Bible verses. I hope you'll enjoy today's creative article and come back next Monday to view his ideas for the "how" of Bible memorization.

“Hello. I am God. If you think about it, that means I created you. Not just you but all the electrons, neutrons, cells…and mountains and rivers and planets…point made?

I also know you more intimately than you know yourself. I know what makes you tick… (Psalm 139)

So you might want to listen up. Because I love you I decided to reveal Myself and My will for your life in a Book: My Word--you know it as the Bible.--in it I have provided “ALL THINGS pertaining to life and godliness” (II Peter 1) so that you might have what I had Paul call “life indeed” in I Timothy (Paul was one of my better servants, by the way…you should see the mansion he lives in now…WOW) and what John calls “abundant life.”

But there is a part you must play (you knew there’d be a catch, didn’t you?). You have to actually read My Book…and reflect on it…and, yes, MEMORIZE it. (Colossians 3:16; Joshua 1:8; Deuteronomy 6:6-7; Psalm 1; II Timothy 2:15) Which involves some things I know (remember the part about ‘I created you’) most of you don’t like: WORK and DISCIPLINE. But remember the good news: afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness (Hebrews 12).

Another important motivational reminder: “The path of the righteous is like the light of dawn that shines brighter and brighter until the full day.” Proverbs 4:18.I should know--I created the Path, too.

Very important point: memorization and meditation on My Word is not optional, not if you want to walk My Path. You DO want to walk MY PATH, don’t you? I’ve heard ultimately it gets a little warm on the other road. (Yes, I have a sense of humor…created it, too. Psalm 2:4) So back to My point: it is a command that you learn My Word—thoroughly. Note I NEVER referred to my greatest commands as “Ten Pretty Good Suggestions."

So how are you doing so far on this assignment, one I first gave you when you became a Christian? Do you know John 3:16 (a gimme) and Galatians 2:20 and Romans 3:23…how about Psalm 119:9-11 or II Corinthians 5:17? How does it look to those not following My Way when you stumble and mumble when trying to tell them about My Word and My Way? Are you flunking this test? Not a test you want to flunk as it tends to have eternal consequences.

In Colossians 3 the first couple verses I command you to “set your mind on things above”. Best way to do this is knowing My Word, verbatim, word perfect so to speak.

Remember, “the mind set on the flesh is DEATH, but the mind set on the Spirit is LIFE and PEACE.” (Romans 8:6) So you choose: death…or life and peace.

Sincerely,

God

P.S. It looks like you have some work to do. I will be sending another message with some tips and ideas on “how to” on the memorizing and meditating thing. Hope you will watch for it…and read it…and GET TO WORK.
___________
Mike Kelly is currently working on developing a full-time Twitter ministry (#MKBibleChat hashtag for anyone who would like to participate in the regularly scheduled chats) and the Bible Memory Coins system. (Link here for the home page.)
___________

Our memory verse list this week is short. And remember that you are not expected to memorize the whole list. Just pick one here or from one of the previous ones (found here and here) and work on it for the week or the whole month.
  • John 18:36
  • John 20:21
  • John 21:24-25
  • Matthew 3:16, 17
  • Job 22:22
  • Job 31:35, 36
And a couple of familiar passages:
  • John 19:17-22 (an abbreviated portion of the crucifixion account)
  • Matthew 1:18-25 (the birth of Jesus, commonly known as one of the Christmas story passages)

1 comment :

  1. very interesting article! I will follow your themes.
    Can I subscribe to your posts on Twitter or on your Facebook profile?

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)