Friday, May 3, 2013

In Honor of The Bear's Birthday

This is a picture taken just a few weeks ago of me and my youngest child.

Easter, 2013


I'm wearing heels. He isn't. He is not extraordinarily tall, but many of you probably remember pictures of him where the top of his head did not even reach my shoulder.

That seems like yesterday.

Today is his birthday! He turns 18 years old.

I can hardly believe it!

I have been blogging for 4 1/2 years and in that time I have documented growth spurts which were evident by excessive amounts of groceries disappearing almost as quickly as they came in the door (which still happens sometimes), the change of his voice - and those of his friends - marked by awkward high pitched squeals as they transitioned from treble to bass cleft, several taekwondo achievements - including earning his black belt - that helped him learn individual goal setting and accomplishment, basketball that caused us to travel great distances for the thrill of watching him engage in a team sport, our high school years of homeschooling (which are coming to an end later this spring), and teaching him how to drive a car.

Oh, my!!!!!!!

Though the youngest of four children, he has enjoyed the best of both worlds: he has siblings, but in the last few years he has been the only child at home. In order to keep him from being totally spoiled rotten by his three doting older sisters, the Lord gave each of them children of their own to divert some of their mothering tendencies. This has worked. A little. He certainly hasn't suffered from lack of attention from them at any time!

The Bear became an uncle at the ripe old age of 6 1/2. For awhile he was a unique volume bracketed between bookends consisting of 3 girls on each side. On one end were his 3 sisters. On the other, his 3 nieces who were actually closer in age to him than those sisters. Now he is uncle to 5 girls and 3 boys (the newest is a newborn). As such, it is not unusual to hear him arguing discussing with someone from the upper tier of  nieces/nephew or see him carrying (without anyone asking him to do so) one of the nieces/nephews in the lower tier.

The Bear was a child I prayed for by name. I knew, or thought I did, before God ever put him in my womb that He had put him in my heart. And unless I misunderstood the will of God, which would have been evident if the idea of our son had never come to fruition, I knew this child would be a welcome addition to our family. I praise God for answering in the way He did.

Son, I know you do not read blogs (and I am okay with that) so you may never read here how much of a gift we - Dad and I - think you are or just how much I have enjoyed almost every minute of raising you to adulthood. (Let's be honest. There have been a few moments that I would not care to repeat, but we won't go into those. {Grin}) And I know as an introvert this blog post will cause you acute embarrassment if you actually do read it, but I am willing to chance it because this has become a scriptural and family journal blog and so I just could not let today pass without publicly proclaiming how the Lord blessed us by giving us you or without wishing you a very blessed transition into adulthood.

With my continued love and prayers,

Mom

18 years ago today

1 comment :

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)