There is no way to get away from God by relocating! Chapter 44 continues the message of Jeremiah to the Jews that had moved to Egypt.
Chapter 45 is a flashback to the 4th year of king Jehoiakim, son of Josiah.
Does God issue any commands?
- God sent Jeremiah to preach to the Jews that had relocated to Egypt. These people were continuing to worship idols thus further angering the LORD.
- In the flashback message to Baruch, God told Jeremiah to tell him not to seek great things for himself. Trouble was coming but God would give his life unto him as a prey no matter where he went.
Does God make any promises?
- God promised that those that had gone into Egypt would die there by the sword, famine, and pestilence. Few would escape and return to Judah.
- Because the men and women flagrantly announced their intention of making offerings to the queen of heaven, God told them that those people would be denounced by God and He would bring evil upon them.
- As a sign, God had Jeremiah tell the people of Judah that had moved to Egypt believing that they were safe there that Pharaoh-hophra would be taken captive by his enemy just as king Zedekiah had been.
Does this passage teach anything about Jesus?
- The ministry of Jeremiah to the Jews in a foreign country is very much like the ministry of Jesus when He left His heavenly home to come to a "foreign" country to preach to the Jews. Both preached the Word that they were sent by God to preach but in both cases the people stated that they would not listen.
Does this passage teach anything about yet-future events?
- There is no escaping the plans of God. They will come to pass no matter what man does to avoid them!