Nebuchadnezzar dreamed a dream that troubled him but he forgot what happened in the dream! He then demanded that his wise men tell him both the dream and the interpretation. Daniel asked his friends to pray. Then God revealed the dream and the interpretation to Daniel.
There is a God in Heaven that revealeth secretsDoes God issue any commands?
- Implied is a command that Daniel tell the king the dream and the meaning of it. It would not make sense for Daniel to have such knowledge and not tell the king! He and all of the other wise men would have perished!
Does God make any promises?
- God promised nations following nations, each a little weaker than the one before it. (God gives quite the history lesson to Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar! We have the advantage of hindsight.)
- God promised that an everlasting kingdom would follow the dominion of the nations made of iron and clay.
Does this passage teach anything about Jesus?
- Jesus is the stone that was cut without hands in Nebuchadnezzar's dream. It demolished the great image that Nebuchadnezzar saw.
Does this passage teach anything about yet-future events?
- The nations and the world powers represented by the different materials in the image seen by Nebuchadnezzar in his dream will one day come to an end. This is represented in the dream by the broken parts being blown away like chaff. Then Jesus will rule upon the earth. (Many Bible scholars place our time as that represented by the feet of mingled iron and clay.)