Monday, June 15, 2009

A Genealogy Tutorial

A few of you have asked me about researching your family history. I routinely field questions from people whose skill level ranges from beginner through to the genealogy buff who just needs a few ideas. This looks like a good day to address this issue since someone has already taken the time to compile their own list today.

First, there is a post today at Makeuseof.com that lists some of the resources available to you via your home computer. See here to read that article. Some of these sites were new to me and I can't wait to check them out.

Second, I have a few favorite sites of my own to suggest.
  • www.Ancestry.com - Do not let this fee service stop you from availing yourself of the free databases that are offered there. Some public libraries also have access through their websites or at their branch computers. Odd as it may seem, I used the library version just last week while doing some research at the library. I was able to find what I needed without logging on through my own account. I was also able to view information in a few databases that I don't have in my subscription plan.
  • Heritage Quest - This division of ProQuest is also found through many public libraries. I can access this one from home through my public library's website using my library card number. It has all of the US federal census data and Revolutionary War pension files. This is of particular use to those who would desire membership in lineage societies such as The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution and National Society Sons of the American Revolution.
  • www.DAR.org - The GRC National Index found there under the Genealogy tab holds a wealth of information. Once a desired volume is found, copies can either be ordered through the DAR search service or through another library. I've found many tidbits that I was then able to view myself at the public library. The trick was in finding the book name through the website.
  • www.findagrave.com - Once I have a name and place of death, this website has been helpful in finding pictures of my ancestor's graves. Sometimes old gravestones were engraved with pertinent genealogical information that can lead to the discovery of other generations. The database continues to grow as individuals submit pictures.
  • www.newenglandancestors.org - Again, this is a subscription service that has a wealth of information available to those who are not members. Anyone can search the library database from the home computer. Once a book title of interest is found copies can be ordered directly from NEHGS, or the book itself can be viewed at public libraries that hold the same volume. Don't forget that even some genealogy books can often be ordered through inter library loan.
  • www.familysearch.org - This is the website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In recent months they have added a feature that shows actual documents and not just transcriptions or indices. Under the "Search Records" tab click on "Record Search Pilot" which will lead to the databases that have images. Not all that are listed there have actual images, but many do. I am particularly fond of the ones showing death certificates as these can be costly if ordered through state agencies.
  • www.newspaperabstracts.com - This is a place where volunteers who have transcribed newspaper articles can donate submissions. Newspapers that were published prior to 1923 are within the public domain and transcriptions can be submitted without violating any copyright.
  • If you are blessed enough to live near the state capital in the state where your ancestors resided you may find many valuable books and artifacts at either the state library or the state archive - or both! Lulu and I visited the NC Archives in Raleigh last year where we found an important Bible record that was photocopied for us.
  • Those of you who are blessed to live near the public libraries of Houston, Ft. Wayne, and Cincinnati should avail yourselves of their extensive holdings. I'm sure there are other public libraries that are adding to their holdings due to the continuing popularity of genealogical research.
  • If you are really a newbie you may not be aware of the database of genealogy databases located at www.cyndislist.com. Perhaps this should be the first stop on the novice's journey into researching their family history.

Happy hunting!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)