Thursday, June 25, 2009

Recharging Our Batteries

Pastor Dad and I are away from home for a working vacation. Our mental faculties have been stressed to the max and our emotional state lately could best be described as "fluctuating." In my moments of levity I tend to blame much of this on my hormones which are experiencing their second round of pre-adolescent-like qualities. I'm not sure what Pastor Dad blames for his similar state. Probably the same thing. No, not his hormones, but having to live with me while I deal with mine. Pray for the man. Really.

How bad is it? Well, for example, we showed up a week early for my family reunion last Saturday because I wrote the event on the wrong date. Since the reunion takes place in the city where I live (I'm one of the locals) it wasn't too bad of a mistake. However, the reunion will be taking place this weekend without me. Sorry, family! I'll miss being with you.

Pastor Dad is scheduled to preach at a conference this weekend. As Providence would have it (thank you, Lord!) we were able to get away a day early. We're now resting, reading, and writing: recharging our batteries; having our creative juices restored; listening to the silence (we turned off the TV just so we would not have to listen to the talking heads announcing again the death of Michael Jackson); marveling in the most magnificent light-and-sound display we've ever witnessed in a thunder storm (which we would've enjoyed so much more if we hadn't been driving through it at the time!).

But we're here in Kentucky safely ensconced in a room that will be our home-away-from-home for awhile. I think I'll get back to that resting and reading part again.

5 comments :

  1. You were missed last evening. Glad to hear you are getting some rest.
    Your sis-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in our area of Ky? Maybe we could see you at the conference if it's close to us and open to the public. Enjoy the recharging. I need to recharge but can't. Got cooking for our fellowship meeting tonight to do. Then maybe I'll rest tomorrow. No I can't then either. Children are moving from one house to another. Maybe Sunday.:-)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you are back from your rest, I am sure, by now. Hope you both have been refreshed!
    We were going to attend ABC on Sunday morning, because we will be in the area visiting Tim's parents. But, we are heading back to WV that afternoon to go to church with our daughter in Buffalo, so we are going to Bro. Ellis' church instead to see my brother. Maybe next time! I guess you know there is no good way to get to your area from my house, unfortunately! And it is a very long trip, too! Too bad! It would be fun to get together with you and Pastor Dad some!
    Take care!
    Love,
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer time is really a very busy time - not only for me - but for others as well I see! Just about caught up on reading your most recent previous posts and am glad you are resting, refreshing and rejuvenating after all that busyness! All the best in that! There's a thunderstorm overhead presently - but there's never the display of lightening that I recall seeing during our time in KY. Even if I don't read or comment regularly, you are still in my thoughts and prayers.

    Hug,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely family portrait!! Sometimes these church membership book photos can be like one's driver's license - not your best side, lol. This looks great! Good to hear that your life is wonderfully busy - and I totally agree with you about wishing winters passed as quickly! I'm off the visit our daughter - the family that moved to southern Alberta - and I'll stay almost a week. Hubby is with the kids in PA. Oh, the joys of parenting!! As long as I am still physically able, I'll gladly do it. There'll comes a time when we won't have the stamina for it anymore. I work with seniors - and, I'm bright, I notice these things, LOL!!

    You take care, hear?!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)