Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Getting Ready

I spent all day Saturday cooking. My freezer is now packed with enough meals to feed us throughout the month of June except for each Sunday's dinner. I don't usually make up my mind as to what I am fixing for that day until sometime on Friday. In all my attempts to get things organized I really must allow myself some things that aren't completely under control. Where's the fun in everything being organized? Well, I concede there must be some fun in it or we wouldn't be watching so many "Monk" episodes these days.

Anyway, I've done something like this before and have even borrowed cookbooks at the library on the subject in the past. If you are interested in doing a mega-cooking day, hop on over to Tricia's and Cortney's blog, appropriately named Once A Month Cooking, for their June menu. I didn't use their menu plan, but I'm sure it is excellent. My planning and preparations were underway prior to their announced menu but I have every intention of participating in a future month.

Last night the Princess came over for the evening so that we could stock her freezer, too. She, Lulu, and I prepared enough food to last her little family for a couple of weeks. She doesn't have a separate freezer so that's about all she can handle at a time. Hopefully, these will be the two weeks that the Princess is recovering from childbirth. Hint. Hint.

{We interrupt this blog post to say that as I was typing, the phone rang. Glancing at the caller i.d., I saw that it was the number of the Princess's cellphone. My heart leaped into my throat! "She's probably ready to go to the hospital," I thought. False alarm. I'd forgotten to write on the directions at what temperature to preheat the oven for the dish she's fixing tonight. Sigh.}

As I was saying, my freezer is stocked and so is the Princess's. Now we're just waiting anxiously for the birth of her little guy, whom I think should be named "Ike." If you wonder why just do a Google search on the words "Hurricane 2008 Ohio. " Mmm hmm.

6 comments :

  1. Oh don't scare me like that! I thought Princess was having the baby! You have no idea how obsessively I check my phone nowadays. It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that you are ready!!! All the stored meal will come in so handy when you most need it. All the best to you.

    Hubby and are won't be around until the middle of June! Going to see my sister and brother and families in British Columbia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the cooking went came off. My house was turned upside down (almost literally) by the painting job at hand. Now I am personally feeling turned upside down (stupid allergies!).

    FYI: I'm still planning to call him "Fennec" or "Fen" in my corner of Blogland. You know why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a book once for Once a Month cooking! Never did anything with it! I should probably think about it again, however, since I am not working! Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to see if I still have that cook book, or if I got rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe the pre-prepared foods could also have little reminder notes about important things like well... for example FATHER'S DAY.

    Pastor Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post. It is fun waiting for babies,...and getting ready for them too.

    The meal thing is a good idea. There is just the two of us, so I don't do that, but when I do cook, I always make enough for left overs, so that way I don't have to cook as often. ((smile))

    I hope all goes well with the birth.

    Blessings to you all!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)