Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Don't Do Mousework

Usually.

Remember when I told you that housework is bad for your health? Laundry is too, evidently, because I thought I was going to have a fit when I went to get the clean clothes from the laundry room this morning that I'd washed this weekend but hadn't had time to fold.

See this little guy? Yeah, I know the picture is blurry. That's because in order to get a better one I would need to be closer. No snarky comments about my tattered laundry baskets ! These do the job just fine.



I left it there for awhile in the hopes that it would scram in my absence. It isn't that I'm afraid of mice - as in, I think they will give me rabies or something - it is just that I'm not a fan of surprises in general. And I think finding a mouse amidst clean clothes somewhat of a surprise.

I went upstairs to run the vacuum. Actually, my cleaning was interrupted more there by the large animal pest (who routinely insists that vacuum hoses must be exterminated at all costs) than the small animal pest who was blocking the way to the washer and dryer.

Action was required. So first I sucked the breath out of the dog just long enough to incapacitate her (I'm joking! No animals were harmed in the vacuuming of my floor! I promise!). Then I went downstairs to find the little fuzzy huddled in front of the dryer like so:

I enlisted the Bear's help. It turns out that we didn't really need that broom much after all. We tested to see if the mouse would let us near. A few times it ran between the dryer and the adjacent freezer but it would always come back to this spot:


I have a ginormous (Spell check objects to "snarky" but not "ginormous?") Tupperware bowl with lid that I use to make large batches of bread. As we were throwing the bowl over the mouse and sliding the lid under his little body he started squealing a warning alarm for all his mousy kind to hear and heed.

I hope they heard him three counties away because I sure don't want any more paying us an unexpected visit.

5 comments :

  1. Ew, ew, ew. Why didn't the Pepper-Beast attack that creature?!

    I'm not sure we'll be able to come over for Christmas. Too many creatures stirring around your place. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be that every family has a mouse story!!Yours even stopped for a photo shoot, lol! I still remember the morning hubby toasted one in our toaster....I shall spare you the details. We had just moved into our new house and one of the contractors has not sealed a certain pipe entry properly and that's where our visitor entered. Word of the toasting must have reached the rest of the clan and we were never visited again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your laundry basket would have felt right at home with mine til I got new ones! Why is it that mice just automatically make your heart skip a couple beats at first sight? I have never jumped up on a table or anything, but I would just as soon that they would stay outside where God intended for them to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ever tell me you booted that poor tiny creature out into the cold, cold, world. Just kidding, it would have had to be me or him! I can't believe you left it wishing it would just go away. I stand guard over the spiders until Russ or one of the boys gets there so I don't imagine it roaming all over the house for eternity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the bread making bowl still going to be the bread making bowl?

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)