Monday, April 18, 2011

A Perspective on Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

This year I’ve made it my mission to look at things in their proper perspective. I found that this is not as easy as I thought it would be. After all, I’m an old dog and we all know how hard it is to teach one new tricks.

Or is it?

What if success in putting things in proper perspective depends more upon the Master than the dog? Wouldn’t an omnipotent Master be able to teach the dog anything He wants if the dog has the willingness to please its Master?

“Therefore if any man be in Christ he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (II Corinthians 5:17).

When reading this verse in context - as it should be read - it is seen that the Apostle Paul was teaching the church at Corinth what was expected of them after they were under new ownership. Keeping with the dog analogy let’s say that he was telling them that they had recently been rescued by a new master. They need to understand a few things about their relationship to him.
  • The new Master will provide a whole new indestructable dog house when He comes, but in the meantime the temporary one in His earthly kennel would be adequate.
  • The Holy Spirit had been sent with a new collar with the Master’s insignia on it to prove His ownership.
  • A nourishing diet and patient training would be provided through the instruction manual that the Master had written.
  • A complete bath and proper grooming would be paid for by the Master’s Son.
  • The dog would be the Master’s mascot everywhere.

This old dog is still being taught some new tricks while “unlearning” some of the old ones I've known for many years. It never ceases to amaze me how uneducated this old educator really is! In the meantime, as an old dog I’m going to try to live up to the expectations of my Master and to be the proper mascot that He deserves.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)