Is this the city that men call The perfection of beauty, The joy of the whole earth? (verse 15; see also Psalm 48)
Does God issue any commands?
- No, but verse 17 says that He fulfilled what He had commanded from the days of old.
Does God make any promises?
- No, but verse 17 says that He had brought to pass all that He had devised, or promised, since the early days of the nation.
Does this chapter teach anything about Jesus?
- Jesus is the Lord, the enemy that swallowed up all the habitations of Jacob and hath not pitied them. He also caused the Temple built for worship of Him to be destroyed because it was being used profanely. (verses 2-9)
- The prophets, priests, and kings were all supposed to be pictures of the coming Messiah, Jesus, but since these people misused their offices the Lord, Jesus, punished them for the offense. (verses 6, 9, 14)
Does this chapter teach anything about yet-future events?
- The city of Jerusalem appealed to God not to forget the apple of His eye (verse 18). Revelation makes it clear that God still regards Jerusalem in such a manner. That is why the capital on the New Earth will be New Jerusalem.