As previously noted, the chapters of Jeremiah are not ordered chronologically. This chapter is a flashback to the time of King Jehoiakim, the son of Josiah.
Does God issue any commands?
- God told Jeremiah to take the Rechabites (the men of the family of Rechab) into the Temple and offer them wine to drink.
- God told Jeremiah to go and tell the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem the question that God wanted them to answer.
Does God make any promises?
- God would reward the family of Rechab for their obedience. They would never lack a man to stand before Him forever.
Does this chapter teach anything about Jesus?
- Like the sons of Jonadab (and grandsons of Rechab), Jesus was the Son who obeyed every command of His Father. Like them, He also was a wanderer in Judah. His permanent home, a House with foundations, was in Heaven.
Does this chapter teach anything about yet-future events?
- We do not know who the descendants of Rechab were but since they were never to lack a man to stand before God forever we will surely meet them in eternity.