Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Salad Bar

I had a great idea this year, or at least I thought I did. I decided to plant salad starters in containers on my deck. I used an old wagon and large pots for the tomato plants. The wagon was so I could move the plants from place to place if necessary for them to get sunlight. (We have a somewhat shady yard.) I also planted a mixed lettuce packet in a window box.

I've been somewhat successful harvesting the lettuce. They did rather well and I have gotten several pickings from the box. I cut the baby leaves and left them to grow again. What you see now is probably the third growth. I know they are small but since it hasn't been exceptionally hot this summer they've survived thus far.
But then the raccoons discovered my garden and they have been having lunch at my expense. They left the half-eaten remains of a couple of tomatoes either to show their appreciation or just to aggravate me. I'm not sure which.
They didn't seem to care too much for the ripe and almost-ripe grape tomatoes as they dropped some of them - whole - on the pavement. Perhaps they are trying to fry them in the heat?

They left one green tomato on the larger variety plant. I'm guessing it will be tonight's supper. Not ours! Theirs!

I picked the rest of the ripe grape tomatoes since they didn't seem to like them anyway. The one I ate tasted pretty good. Too bad they won't leave them alone long enough for the slicing tomatoes to ripen.

2 comments :

  1. How aggravating! Looking forward to seeing you guys this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that is totally annoying! That's too bad Karabeth!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)