Sunday, July 19, 2009

More Looking Back Over the Week

Now that I've given a somewhat silly rendering I thought I'd give you the rundown on some of the more serious things I learned last week.

First, I learned that teens haven't changed much since I was one. Yes, I know that was eons ago. However, teens tend to have the same hopes and fears that I had when I was their age. They are concerned about life, love, family, friends, eternity, and whether or not someone will ridicule them in front of everyone else.

The object this week was to make them aware of the One who meets all of those needs. He is the One who wants their life to be spent fellowshipping with Him. He is the One who loves them, gives them a better family life, and a wonderful spiritual family if they follow His principles. He is the One who wants them to have the right kind of friends and to be the right kind of friend. He is the One who has prepared the way for them to spend eternity in Heaven. He is also the One who experienced all of the ridicule and torment beyond anything they can ever imagine.

Second, I learned that some teens still act like they aren't paying attention to the lessons being presented during the teaching and preaching sessions. We saw some of that this week and it is always heart-breaking, to say the least.

But it reminded me of when I was 14 years old and away from home on a teen retreat. I can tell you with perfect clarity (and my own great sorrow) that I was not paying much attention to the preacher because some of my friends and I were otherwise occupied. I was not listening, but rather, I was misbehaving. Something the preacher said still got through. I don't know exactly what it was that got my attention (except that it was obviously of the Holy Spirit) but that was the night that I trusted Christ as my savior. How appropriate that Christ Jesus saved me from my sins right in the midst of disobedience. I always empathize with Peter when I read about his reaction to the cock crowing.

I can't look at unruly teenagers in a preaching service without remembering that night. Teenagers haven't changed since then. I pray that what they heard this week when we thought they weren't listening convicts them like something did me so long ago. God has a way of doing just that. He is in the business of changing lives and I'm glad He is.

God convicted me of sin this week as well. I still suffer chronically from "Foot In Mouth Disease." I had to repent to God and ask forgiveness of those to whom I'd spoken amiss. I guess I'm not so far removed from the person I was when I was 14 years old.

The fruit is just starting to be harvested. We're praying for a bumper crop!

1 comment :

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)