Saturday, July 18, 2009

Looking Back Over the Week

Yes, I was found out. But that's not the reason I didn't post more.

It turns out that having Internet access and a computer is not enough to ensure regular posting. There were schedules to be kept. And chores to be done to keep the room livable. And an adorable toddler to keep out of mischief. And my other camp responsibilities to do. And errands to run. You get the picture.

Since I was lackadaisical in my reporting I'll give you a short list of things I learned this week. Not all of these things were learned at camp but I think you'll be able to note the transition.

THINGS I LEARNED THIS WEEK
  1. I do not speak the Sweet Pea dialect as fluently as I thought I did. The vocabulary that is used during short family gatherings is not as extensive as what is needed for her moment-by-moment care.
  2. Little Sweet Pea believes her Gram is hard of hearing. I found that whenever I misunderstood something she just kept repeating it progressively louder.
  3. I need a Sweet Pea interpreter. Thankfully, Tigger will be available for that job when we go to Junior Camp.
  4. The songs on a lullaby CD are not relaxing when being used as karaoke by a 2-year-old who is also doing an interpretive dance routine on top of the bed.
  5. Baby boys are as sweet as I remember. Mmm.
  6. As fun as teenagers are (ha!) I was still glad to only bring one home with me.
  7. If you are in a hurry to get from Point A to Point B it is almost a foregone conclusion that there will be construction and delays on every route between. I tested this theory this week and found it to be true.
  8. Raccoons like little green tomatoes. I know this because most of mine were picked and left half-eaten on my deck.
  9. Even in the few days we were gone, there were many new residents in our neighborhood. Specifically, hornets built a condo in a pine tree in our front yard. Pepper found it 3 minutes into her first excursion outside after coming home from the kennel. The Japanese Lantern sized and shaped hornet house is gone now but it was impressive! Pepper was stung while investigating. Pastor Dad and I were not.
  10. Wasps decided to build their nest over our front door. It is also gone.
  11. Woodpeckers can't tell the difference between trees and wood-sided houses. Or maybe the one tapping outside is just telling me that the suet feeder is empty. Good grief! We're gone 5 days and wildlife takes over the place!

Hope everyone had a good week. I look forward to catching up on what has been going on in your lives recently.

2 comments :

  1. It was fun to read your lessons learned. My 2 1/2 yr. old grandson sounds just like Sweet Pea as far as the dialect is concerned!
    EWWW! Those are not the kinds of neighbors you want moving in while you are gone!
    Welcome back to "sanity??"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful sense of humor! I so enjoyed reading your LBOW post! What's with the uninvited while you were gone? No fun!! I'm glad you evicted them pronto! Have a blessed week-end!

    I've got one of our grandangels with us for a few days - but she is 8 and can be reasoned with!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)