Friday, April 16, 2010

Zoo Antics

Some of you probably heard rumors of what happened to Karen yesterday and some may still be wondering so I shall now try to tell the tale from my perspective. I hope it reminds you to pray for my daughter and unborn grandchild.



Like these flamingos, it was a day of family togetherness for Karen and her girls, little Fen, the Bear, and me. Our zoo membership expires soon and I wanted Tigger to have a chance to see the new manatee acquisitions. (It wasn't a good day for manatee pictures. The water was somewhat blurry.)


The napping polar bear will give you some clue as to just how unseasonably warm it was in Cincinnati yesterday. We all felt like this guy looked: hot and droopy. We envied him his pool.


The girls got to see a couple of animals up close and personal, including this young penguin. The only problem with being up close and personal with a bunch of animals is that they . . . well, they smell like a bunch of animals. It smelled like a zoo yesterday. Naturally.

As our day was winding down we made our way to the zoo train station where we parked the strollers and got in the long line. There was little to no shade there and we were a bit uncomfortable. Little Fen was getting restless because he'd been riding or being held for a few hours and he wanted to get down and play on the pavement. I wrestled him while we waited for the train to return, pleased that we would be in the next group to board. We were the second family in line.

As we heard the whistle blow that signaled its return, Karen turned to me and said, "I don't feel well. I'm going to buy a Sprite and sit down for awhile." I asked if she felt nauseous, had a headache, or what. After vague answers I asked if she felt faint to which she replied, "Yes."

I quickly thrust Fen into the Bear's arms as Karen stumbled. She didn't fall to the ground and she didn't sit down. She just sort of landed in my arms. My cry for help made the woman in front of me offer her services as a nurse. Karen hadn't totally lost consciousness because as the nurse asked questions she responded somewhat.

A zoo paramedic soon arrived with an ice pack to put on the back of her neck and some bottled water. Between the heat, animal smells, the exertion of pushing strollers up and down the hills, her pregnancy, the sinus trouble she's been fighting, and standing in line in the sun, I think her system had an overload.


And even though her visit at the zoo didn't end with quite as much exuberance as it began, I'm happy to say that once she got in the shade and had a large cup of ice-cold Sierra Mist she was back to being herself, even if she didn't visit any of the animal exhibits that were on our way to the exit. The Bear and I made sure the girls got to see everything though. They were already worried about their mommy and taking them to see the animals seemed the best way to act naturally and calm their fears.

She's a bit embarrassed by the whole episode but I told Karen she wasn't the first - and she certainly won't be the last - person to faint at the zoo. The paramedic who responded acted like he did that kind of thing all the time. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't a zoo vet.

3 comments :

  1. Phew, glad to hear that she is much relieved. So glad you cushioned her fall and helped her to slump - probably very gracefully. Yup, the combination of all these assaults on her system would have been enough to start this episode. Wish her well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm glad she didn't fall and hurt herself. Sounds like you still had a great day at the zoo, all things considered

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad everything turned out OK! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)