Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Where We've Been


Pastor Dad and I left Sunday afternoon for our 2 week vacation road trip. Whenever we reach this intersection in Nashville our usual inclination is to travel to the left. This time we took the road less traveled, at least by us.

This is a business trip, in that Pastor Dad has two preaching appointments, hence the two week journey. But all good trips combine business with pleasure so since we had a few hours to kill before we had to be at our first destination, we stopped at a tourist trap.

No one here spoke English. Besides the fact that my southern dialect is a bit rusty, foreigners were everywhere. One lady who was standing in the yard really, really aggravated the staff who were shouting, "GET OFF THE GRASS!" Several of us snickered as we saw she was standing next to a sign reading "Stay off the grass." Once the lady made her way back to her party we realized she wasn't speaking anything near a local dialect, northern or southern. Okay, so she couldn't read the sign, and she obviously cared little about the tour guides who were on the verge of apoplexy. I have no clue as to what language she was speaking but I really hope to hear it again someday, but with me visiting her homeland instead of vice versa.


And for those of you who don't recognize where this was taken - I'm looking at my offspring now - just let me say that we once stayed at a motel about a block away from this place but didn't visit. We opted for the zoo and Mud Island instead.

For those who might still be clueless, let me remind you that Dad and I never, e-v-e-r travel without making our way into a graveyard. Okay, usually this is due to genealogical research, but not this time.

Voila!:


After our visit to Graceland, we made our way to a place where Pastor Dad and about 9 other preachers took 1.5 days to point the way to the real Land of Grace.


The meeting ended this evening so we leave here tomorrow for the next one. We're getting up early and pointing the car west. We'll keep you posted.

4 comments :

  1. That was a fun read and glad you're having a great time! And stay off the grass!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you'd stop at Graceland. I hope Dad didn't buy any rhinestone suits to preach in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim saw Graceland when we were in Memphis last year. I didn't, however, and really could care less! Sounds like you are having a great trip! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks like so much fun! Although I am ready to get out and see some new site, I'm not really ready for a road trip again. I hope you guys are having a good time and a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)