Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pardon Me, But My Ignorance Is Showing

I recently finished researching, writing, printing, and binding my first book. Let me clarify that I'm not sure if this qualifies as an actual book or not. When I think of "book" I think of one of those volumes sporting a stitched or glue binding and not 8.5 x 11 inch sheets held together by a cute plastic comb. I've been working for years on one that will qualify and mere months on a quick genealogy project compiled for members of my family. But we'll call it a book for lack of a better designation.

We borrowed the cutting/binding machine from my alma mater, a small local liberal arts college where one of my former professors is now the academic dean. He became curious and asked if he could have a copy of the finished product. Pastor Dad delivered one today.

When next I saw my husband I asked if he knew why the dean was interested in it. "Oh, yes," came his nonchalant reply. "He said that first he is going to read it and then he is going to use it in one of his classes."

"WHAT????"

"Yeah, he said that this is exactly the kind of project he needs to teach proper researching and paper-writing skills."

Yikes! Since this enlightenment I've been thinking about a few of those stupid grammatical errors I discovered during the course of production(you know, the kind that your eyes just automatically gravitate toward as you glance down, but that you missed during your 400+ proofreadings) and that my former professor is going to be READING this and USING IT AS AN EXAMPLE IN A COLLEGE CLASS.

I sure hope that the man who has access to my college transcript doesn't suddenly feel compelled to lower any of my grades.

But if he likes it, there's the matter of a grade that I earned in one of his classes that could use a bit of help. Perhaps we might consider this delayed make-up work?

(Just don't read some pages too closely.)

1 comment :

  1. That's pretty neat! I'm sure he won't sit and read the entire thing.....maybe not 100% sure, however! Glad you got one of your projects done!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)