Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Voice From The Clouds

This has been a hard week. Things too numerous and private to relate.

Through it all the clouds are constantly weeping. The weather alert periodically sounds telling of floods, warning all to get to high ground. Well, I live on the high ground. An alert sounds and I am reminded of spiritual high ground. How I wish I always lived there, too!

I read Luke chapter 9 today. If you're following my Bible reading plan you know this means I am behind. I'm ashamed to say that often when I'm in the valley I neglect the very things that can help me safely navigate through it. But even thought this chapter was read later than scheduled it sounded the alarm.


The Twelve Are Sent To Preach
Hmm. My husband has been sent to preach. A great many of the difficulties we've faced this week are the result of the ministry. Okay, Lord, you've got my attention.

To paraphrase this passage, He tells his disciples not to worry about their daily provisions and to figuratively wipe their hands of those who would not listen but to take the good news elsewhere.

There is a lot to be gleaned in this message about those who don't want to listen. They hinder ministers by wasting their time and keeping them from preaching to others. We must wash our hands of some people whether we want to or not.


His Identity Is Questioned
One of the incidents that broke my heart this week involved a case of mistaken identity. My identity. Mistaken identity can ruin a reputation. Mine wasn't "stolen" but was used in a wrongful way. It has been cleared up now and I'm hoping to move beyond the hurt and restore the fellowship.


Five Thousand Are Fed
Those who were listening to Jesus did not have enough to sustain themselves so He provided it. Forget for a moment that this was physical food.

I don't have what I need to sustain myself either or even to meet the needs of those with their hands out asking me to feed them (and I'm not joking about feeding my teenager's voracious appetite; I'm referring to all the needy souls I've encountered this week who have asked me to bear their burdens and to feed them words of encouragement). I'm very heartened to see that the Lord can make an overabundant meal out of meager supplies because I personally have so little to offer. I pray He multiplies the meager crumbs I gave them.


His Identity Is Confirmed
Peter and the others had just returned from an evangelistic tour and Jesus asked them afterward who they thought He was. This sounds backwards to me. Perhaps we're so busy ministering that Jesus needs to ask us sometimes, "Excuse me! Do you know WHO I AM?" Yes, You're the Messiah.

Oh, I see!


The Burden of Ministry
The load is heavy. Self-denial and sacrifice are weighty matters. I don't want to be told that it's not all about me. But it isn't. And the next paragraph confirms this. And it hints at things to come for those who can crucify their own desires daily and make it all about Him.


The Mountaintop Experience
After Jesus told them that following Him would require self-sacrifice He took them up on the mountaintop and gave them a sneak-peek of His glory, the very glory He would eternally share with them if they would deny themselves in the temporal life! Peter, like usual, said the wrong thing. In his astonishment he had no clue what his proper response should be.

I often catch glimpses of Jesus' glory only to put my foot in my mouth, too. Even in the mountaintop experiences I fail to see what is being required of me. I want to build houses on the mountaintop (Oh, please Lord! Can I just stay here basking in your glory?) when the Lord is allowing only a glimpse of things to come. (But Lord! I don't want to go back down in the valley! I want to set up housekeeping on the spiritual mountaintop!)



The Voice From The Clouds
While he (Peter) thus spake, there came a cloud, and overshadowed them: and they feared as they entered into the cloud. And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him. And when the voice was past, Jesus was found alone. Verses 34-36a.

I don't know about your world, but ours has been overshadowed by a heavy cloud. I feel certain that in the midst of the fog there is a voice both rebuking and encouraging.

Jesus stands alone. Jesus always stands alone. He is the way.


Get Back To Work
And it came to pass, that on the next day, when they were come down from the hill, much people met him. . . . verse 37 through the end of the chapter.

It isn't time yet to share in His eternal glory so we must get to work down in the valley. Pick up that cross daily, but do it encouraged by the glimpses of glory seen on the mountaintop: a glory that will be shared eternally.

2 comments :

  1. Hugs!! Praying that as the Lord works in you and through you will both sense His Presence in a wonderful way. I especially like the short phrase near the end, "And it came to pass..." It doesn't come to stay, but to change us, grow us, help us, and refocus on HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent and encouraging Bible Study. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)