Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's the Great Pumpkin (Recipe) Charlie Brown!

I love pumpkin! Nine years ago a friend gave me a wonderful recipe for Pumpkin Dump Cake that she cut from a magazine. She was even nice enough to make a sample cake for us. Wasn't that sweet?

Then a few years ago I lost the recipe and I was heartbroken. But like anything these days, I was able to immediately find a similar version online. I tried this and if it isn't the same exact recipe there isn't enough difference to quibble about.

I took this to a family reunion a couple of weeks ago and it was very well received. I hope you enjoy it.

Pumpkin Dump Cake

1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin - if you grow pumpkins like I did in TN use 1.75 c. pumpkin puree
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
4 eggs
1 c. white sugar
1.5 T pumpkin pie spice (or you can substitute cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and ground cloves)
1/2 t. salt
1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
1/2 c. butter (melted)
1 c. chopped pecans

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, salt, and spices. Stir in the milk. Add eggs one at a time. Beat after each addition. Pour pumpkin mixture into the prepared pan.

Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the pumpkin mixture, then sprinkle the pecans over that. Drizzle the melted butter over all. Bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool before serving.

Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on the top.

*I recommend serving this with freshly whipped heavy cream. I always recommend freshly whipped heavy cream on almost anything! :)

3 comments :

  1. I think I have a copy of your original. Or maybe it's this new one you found online. Not sure, really. Anyhow, it's always a great hit when I make it here. I usually make it on Thanksgiving instead of pumpkin pie. Speaking of which- I can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Karabeth,
    This sounds like an excellent recipe. I will most definitely print it out to stick in my book. Always looking for something to bake for Dad!

    Keep posting any other winning recipes!

    Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've never cared for pumpkin pie but this sounds good. I always made a pumpkin pie for Thansgiving and maybe one slice would be eaten and the rest would mold and I'd toss it out about the first week of December. That's been our tradition here! I have a "vintage" can of pumpkin in the canned food cabinet as I type. I love spice type cakes and cookies but I live with a chocoholic so not much of that gets made here. Justin brought us peach cobbler made with fresh peaches the other night and it was GOOD. He's a great cook but boy can he leave a mess behind. At least it's behind at his house now. :-)
    I may give this recipe a try and call in friends and neighbors to help me eat it. :-)
    Take care.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)