Friday, December 12, 2008

"Got Any Nuts in There?"

The last two mornings I have been awakened by something sounding very much like someone taking a hammer to our deck. This was a bit scary at first. It isn't that we are opposed to anyone doing necessary repair work to our deck. It is just that it isn't likely to be happening now with the weather consistently below freezing. We're not planning any outdoor barbecues anytime soon you know.

Further investigation revealed that the noise was coming from an irate squirrel. The bird seed I'd put out (for actual birds) onto a heavy plastic tray had frozen from a rain that fell a few nights ago. The tray now held seed-sicles and the squirrel was not a happy camper. He was banging the tray on the picnic table in protest.

The squirrels and I have a love-hate relationship. It began many years ago when I started feeding feathered friends in the midst of barren winters. After observing several birds watching wistfully from naked tree branches while squirrels gobbled up their bounty I included a couple of squirrel-proof feeders among my more traditional ones.

Evidently, with squirrels it is "all or nothing." In retaliation they hired the local raccoon guerrillas to destroy the discriminating ones. One night I thought I heard hysterical squeaky laughter coming from the backyard. The next day my feeders lay dismantled all over the lawn. So much for squirrel-proofing.

I decided to quit fighting the little rascals and give them what they wanted. I did reserve the right, however, to hang suet feeders and thistle tubes from the roof-top where they swing in the wind right in front of my kitchen window. This is not fool-proof but it does provide amusement watching them balance with their hind legs against the house while they sway in the breeze as they hold onto the tethered feeders. If I was brave enough I could open the window and reach out to tickle a squirrel tummy. I don't do that for obvious reasons.

I guess the squirrels don't mind entertaining me as long as they are well-fed. But when the tray of goodies isn't to their liking they let me know in no uncertain terms. Yes, we have nuts. No, I won't be feeding them to the squirrels. And yes, I'm being "punny." If squirrels ever gain possession of those light sabers that my son-in-law, Prince Charming, uses as his blog i.d. picture I will be in trouble indeed!

I can't wait for the return of the hummingbirds. They have less discriminating palates and are a whole lot quieter in the morning.

6 comments :

  1. I don't get to feed any birds (or squirrels) because it would almost be certain death for the critters with my crew. The squirrels still bounce from tree to tree and dance along the fence driving the dogs crazy. I'm just waiting for the day I get a "present".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the term "full-proof"? As it happens, under the circumstances you describe, fool-proof seems apt.

    I wonder why the expression is "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" instead of "the nut doesn't far fall from the tree?" Sound just a bit too...appropriate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. fool·proof (flprf)
    adj.
    1. Designed so as to be impervious to human incompetence, error, or misuse: a foolproof detonator; a foolproof safety lock.
    2. Effective; infallible: a foolproof scheme

    Pastor Dad
    (I am often consulted on terminology and semantics)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where I come from and still reside it's foo-proof said in a southern kind of way with a big grin on your face. Also said in that way is scoo bus (school bus). Foo proof also has the same meaning as Pastor's definition. :-)
    Donna in KY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stand corrected by the master. (bows low)

    Hey, you know I got my terminology and semantics gene from somewhere! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes! We all bow low to the master because I know that the terminology and semantics gene didn't come from me. :)

    I, on the other hand, spent my time wondering if "full-proof" had something to do with the amount of alcohol in whiskey or if it was a mathematical term.

    Either way, if those squirrels take up drinking OR working elaborate geometric theorems while devising their schemes for obtaining better food from my kitchen, I will be declaring the deli closed!

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)