Saturday, December 13, 2008

Did I Mention ...?

(If you're reading this, Mom, it isn't my intention to hurt your feelings. Let's just say that I'm a bit stunned by my ignorance of the events of your week. Blame any offense on the joke-and-storytelling genes I inherited from Dad. I never could pass up a good story.)

My mother called Friday to tell me that she'd had a root canal - A root canal - on Monday - on Monday - and that she'd gotten an infection from it - an infection - but after getting some antibiotics from her doctor she was feeling some better now. Oh, what a relief!

How is it that we rode together packed like sardines in the backseat of the car with the Bear draped over us for 12 hours going to Lou's house Thanksgiving week and you never mentioned that you were having a root canal after we returned home?

And, how is it that we all lived together under one roof with Lou, Sgt. Dan, and their dogs for 6 days and you never mentioned that you were having a root canal after we returned home?

And how is it that we rode for OVER 12 hours on the return trip home almost exactly one week before said root canal and you never mentioned that you were having a root canal after we returned home?

I'm just asking because we discussed some pretty mundane things as we passed the time and miles. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy discussing the mundane, I'm just saying that mentioning that you were having a root canal after you returned home seems like the kind of thing that might come up in conversation!

The only reason I know about it now? She let it slip to Karen on the phone yesterday and was afraid I'd hear about it through the grapevine!

Don't that beat all?

2 comments :

  1. When I go for a root-canal the next day I try to NOT think or talk about it until I absolutely have to when I arrive at the dentist's office! It's bad enough without my having to think or obsess about it the day before and spoil my lovely day! That would produce increased anxiety and I don't want everyone to feel sorry for me. But then, I'm me.........
    Sure hope your mom is feeling so much better and that the pain that prompted her to need the root canal has been resolved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I totally would've tattled. Grandma knows me well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)