Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Beginning Of A Magical Week


A previous tourist in the Orlando, FL area

Our magical week in Florida began with temperatures that were not so different than those experienced by everyone we left behind in southern Ohio. But we were not among those in Ohio this past week. Pastor Dad, the Bear, and I were in Orlando because Pastor Dad was preaching in a conference.

So while others in that vicinity were sad about the unseasonably cooler weather, which quickly became temperatures that we in Ohio would think of as unseasonably warm if they happen at home, we were spending our time marveling at those wearing winter garb.

But perhaps we were poor judges of temperature because we weren't outside much those first few days. We spent our time in church. This was nice as we were able to visit with old friends - fellow pastors or missionaries and their wives - and fellowship around great food, both physical and spiritual. About the only time I was cold was when the air conditioner ran full blast.

Pastor Dad was not the only one of our little family who ministered at this conference. The Bear found himself the sidekick for an evangelist's wife who was riding herd on a bunch of renegades in each a.m. and p.m. children's service. Since the Bear is well-known to her and she thought he had fine credentials for the job,

  1. he has helped her before in our own children's ministries,
  2. he is the uncle of four young 'uns, and
  3. he knew how to wrangle a wiggly two year old to sleep - impressive indeed!

she insisted that he help her. So help her he did.

I guess that I was the only member of the family who did not actively minister this week. I probably should feel guilty about this but I don't. I'd like to think of it as just part of the magic.

The Bear sizing up the pool situation. Is the water warm enough to get in or should he just hit the hot tub?

1 comment :

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalms 19:14 (KJV)